King Dazzles, Fires Complete Game For First Carolina League Win
Woodbridge, Va. - John King was sensational for the Wood Ducks, Wednesday, as the lefty fired nine complete innings, to earn his first Carolina League victory, with a 4-1 win over Potomac.
The Wood Ducks (47-19) take the rubber game from the Nationals (28-35) as well as winning the season series, six games to five from the Nationals.
King (win, 1-0) was outstanding. He gave up just one unearned run over nine innings, struck out four, and did not walk a batter. He retired the final 17 hitters he faced, and went just three over the minimum on the night. The only other complete game tossed by a Wood Duck in team history came May 26, 2017, when Richelson Pena downed Winston-Salem. It is also the first nine-inning complete game in the Carolina League this year.
The only run that King allowed came in the second inning. With two outs, Alex Dunlap lined a double to left-center. He then advanced to third on an error, and then he came into score on a Omar Meregildo RBI single.
The Wood Ducks supplied King with plenty of run support early. In the first inning, Yonny Hernandez and Leody Taveras lined back-to-back singles to center. They would each come on a fielder's choice from Sam Huff and Yohel Pozo respectively, to put the Woodies ahead, 2-0. Later in the inning, Julio Pablo Martinez crushed his seventh home run of the season to right field to push the lead to 4-0 in the first. It was the sixth home run that Martinez has hit in his last 16 games.
Malvin Pena (loss, 4-4) did not allow a run after the first inning. He went four frames, giving up four runs on five hits, walked three, and stuck out five.
The Wood Ducks threatened to add on throughout the night, but were unable to capitalize on runners aboard, stranding 11, including the bases loaded in the second inning.
Down East continues the road trip in Myrtle Beach, Thursday, when they face off with the Pelicans at 7:05 p.m. Left-hander Sal Mendez (2-0, 2.47) will make the start for the Wood Ducks, opposed by Pelicans righty Erich Uelmen (1-1, 4.60). The broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Woodpeckers Sweep Myrtle Beach at Segra Stadium - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Collins Powers Hillcats to Series Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Four Run Eighth Dooms Keys - Frederick Keys
- King Dazzles, Fires Complete Game For First Carolina League Win - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wilmington Drops Second Straight for First Time in More Than a Month - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Fayetteville Blanks Birds in Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- King Reigns as P-Nats Fall to Wood Ducks - Potomac Nationals
- Dash's Series Finale against Salem Canceled on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Perez Added to CL North All-Star Roster - Frederick Keys
- June 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 12 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 12 at Fayetteville - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 12 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats and Keys Split Tuesday Doubleheader - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Win Seventh Straight in Twin Bill Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year