Dash Win Seventh Straight in Twin Bill Finale
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Thanks to nine hits, the Dash cruised to a 7-2 victory over the Salem Red Sox in the second game of a doubleheader on Tuesday night at BB&T Ballpark.
After taking game one, Winston-Salem (36-24) jumped out to an early lead against Salem (20-42) starter Hunter Smith (0-4) in Tuesday's twin bill finale. To lead off the bottom of the first, JJ Muno ripped a triple into right-center field. Mitch Roman then punched a double down the right-field line to score Muno and make it 1-0.
Following Roman's double, Steele Walker kept the hit parade going with a line-drive single into right field, which scored Roman to make it 2-0.
The Red Sox cut into the lead in the top of the second against Dash starter Jake Elliott. Marcus Wilson led off the frame by reaching on a missed catch error from Elliott before Garrett Benge drew a walk. Then, Jagger Rusconi singled back through the middle to score Wilson and cut the Dash lead in half. But, Elliott struck out the side to get out of the inning without further damage.
Already leading 2-1, the Dash added to their lead in the bottom of the third. With one out, Muno reached on a bunt single before Roman hit his second double to put runners at second and third. Walker then ripped a single off the glove of Salem first baseman Pedro Castellanos to score Muno and push the lead to 3-1. Walker finished 2-for-4 with two RBIs in game two. Muno, Roman and Walker combined for seven hits in the ballgame.
The Dash broke the game open in the bottom of the fourth. Craig Dedelow led off the frame by smacking a double off the right-center field wall. Following Dedelow's double, Evan Skoug and Jordan George drew back-to-back walks to load the bases.
With the bases loaded, Travis Moniot grounded a ball to Castellanos, who stepped on first for one out. But, Castellanos' throw home was too late and Dedelow scored to make it 4-1. Smith was then removed from the game for left-hander Alex Demchack. Upon entering the game, Demchack fired a wild pitch, allowing Skoug to score to make it 5-1.
To cap the scoring in the fourth, Roman hit a single into right field to score George and give the Dash a 6-1 edge. Roman finished the second game of the twin bill 3-for-4 with two doubles and two RBIs.
Salem managed to push one more run across against Codi Heuer (4-1) in the top of the fifth. Charlie Madden led off the inning with a single before reaching second on a wild pitch by Heuer. A Keith Curcio groundout allowed Madden to reach third before he scored on another wild pitch by Heuer to make it 6-2.
In the bottom of the sixth, Skoug rounded out the scoring for Winston-Salem. To lead off the inning, Skoug smashed a solo homer off the right field foul pole to give the Dash a 7-2 lead.
Luis Ledo, who was named a Carolina League All-Star on Tuesday, pitched two perfect innings while recording three strikeouts to wrap up the ballgame.
Winston-Salem closes out its series with Salem on Wednesday night. Right-hander Kade McClure (0-0, 1.50 ERA) will take the mound for the Dash against fellow righty Daniel Gonzalez (1-6, 4.65 ERA) for the Red Sox. First pitch is set for 7 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.TV and the TuneIn Radio App.
The series finale with Salem will be a Winston Wednesday. To celebrate the Twin City, the Dash will offer $10 presale tickets, and the team will sport retro Warthogs jerseys. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Woodpeckers Sweep Myrtle Beach at Segra Stadium - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Collins Powers Hillcats to Series Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Four Run Eighth Dooms Keys - Frederick Keys
- King Dazzles, Fires Complete Game For First Carolina League Win - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wilmington Drops Second Straight for First Time in More Than a Month - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Fayetteville Blanks Birds in Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- King Reigns as P-Nats Fall to Wood Ducks - Potomac Nationals
- Dash's Series Finale against Salem Canceled on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Perez Added to CL North All-Star Roster - Frederick Keys
- June 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 12 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 12 at Fayetteville - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 12 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats and Keys Split Tuesday Doubleheader - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Win Seventh Straight in Twin Bill Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 25 vs. Myrtle Beach)
- RHP Vince Arobio promoted to Double-A Birmingham from Winston-Salem
- Stiever Shines in Debut to Lead Dash Past Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 24 vs. Myrtle Beach)
- OF Travis Moniot placed on the Dash's injured list