Fayetteville Blanks Birds in Series Finale
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - The Fayetteville Woodpeckers shutout the Myrtle Beach Pelicans 1-0 in a pitchers duel on Wednesday night from Segra Stadium.
The Woodpeckers (29-37) found the only run they needed in the bottom of the second inning. Scott Schreiber launched his third homer of the year, a solo shot, that made it 1-0 Fayetteville.
Alex Lange (1-9) was dominant for the Pelicans. The righty fired a season-best seven innings and allowed just a run on two hits while striking out nine batters.
Brett Conine (2-1), the Woodpeckers starter, was equally as good as he shutout the Pelicans across six innings and struck out seven and surrendered just three hits.
After a 38-minute rain delay in the top of the ninth inning, Jacob Billingsley came out of the bullpen and nailed down the 1-0 win for Fayetteville.
The Pelicans will return home on Thursday night at 7:05 to welcome in the Down East Wood Ducks for the first of four games at TicketReturn.com field at Pelicans Ballpark. RHP Erich Uelmen (1-0, 2.61) will take the hill for the Pelicans while LHP Sal Mendez (2-0, 2.47) will go for the Woodies.
It is a Thirsty Thursday at the ballpark, presented by Celebrations Nitelife, Axelrod & Associates and Gator 107.9 FM, with $1 Bud and Bud Light drafts, $2 16 oz. cans and $2 Duplin wine from 5:30 p.m. until 8 p.m. Additionally, Thursday is Glitter Night and there will be a postgame fireworkds extravaganza, presented by East Coast Pyrotechnics.
Coverage will begin at 6:50 p.m. on the Pelicans Baseball Network which is available on the TuneIn App, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and MiLB First Pitch app.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Woodpeckers Sweep Myrtle Beach at Segra Stadium - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Collins Powers Hillcats to Series Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Four Run Eighth Dooms Keys - Frederick Keys
- King Dazzles, Fires Complete Game For First Carolina League Win - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wilmington Drops Second Straight for First Time in More Than a Month - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Fayetteville Blanks Birds in Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- King Reigns as P-Nats Fall to Wood Ducks - Potomac Nationals
- Dash's Series Finale against Salem Canceled on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Perez Added to CL North All-Star Roster - Frederick Keys
- June 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 12 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 12 at Fayetteville - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 12 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats and Keys Split Tuesday Doubleheader - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Win Seventh Straight in Twin Bill Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.