K-Wings Defeat South Carolina 7-3
North Charleston, SC- Traveling seems to suit the Kalamazoo Wings. The K-Wings remain unbeaten in regulation in their four-game road trip (2-0-0-1) with a decisive 7-3 victory over the South Carolina Stingrays.
South Carolina outshot the K-Wings 18-9 in the opening period, but it was their first shot that got them on the board. With an innocent wrist shot from the neutral zone, Matt Scherer (5th) gave the Stingrays the early advantage 34 seconds into the game.
Kalamazoo responded later in the period, when Darryl Lloyd, who was playing in his 400th career game, intercepted a Stingrays pass in the neutral zone and passed it ahead to Patrick Asselin. Asselin split the defense and rung up his fifth goal of the season on the breakaway.
Regaining the lead 4:18 into the second period with an unassisted tally, Rob Ricci had three attempts to bang in his team team-leading eighth-goal of the season.
Held without a goal since scoring the K-Wings first goal of the season for Kalamazoo on opening night (October 22nd), Mitch Versteeg (2nd) recorded the equalizer with a blue-line wrister midway in the stanza.
Using a power-play to claim their first lead of the night with less than three minutes remaining in the second period, Asselin (6th) knocked in his second goal of the night off a cross-rink pass from Kory Karlander. Coming off a hat trick performance in his last game on Saturday at Elmira, Asselin has scored five goals in his last two games.
Being outshot 16-5 in the third period didn't stop the K-Wings, who scored four goals in the final 20 minutes of action. Extending their lead early in the third period, Brian McGuirk found Justin Taylor (4th) for a breakaway tally.
Battling back 45 seconds later, South Carolina responded with a tally from Nikita Kashirsky (6th).
Scoring three times in the final six minutes, Kalamazoo put the game out of reach. Karlander add insurance scoring his ninth of the season and fifth on the power-play. The goal ties Karlander with Trent Daavettila for the team-leading in both goals and power-play tallies.
Sam Ftorek (3rd) poured salt on the Stingrays wounds, by scoring a breakaway shorthanded, empty-net marker.
Kalamazoo tacked on the final goal with 32 seconds remaining in the game, with a goal from Brady Leisenring (3rd). Assisting on the goal were Jordan Fulton and Daavettila, who extended his point streak to eight games.
Ryan Nie earned his seventh victory of the season, stopping a season-high 43 shots.
The K-Wings will conclude their four-game road swing tomorrow Tuesday, December 7th with a 7:05 p.m. encounter at the North Charleston Coliseum against the Stingrays.
Kalamazoo will return to Wings Stadium on Saturday, December 11th with a 7:30 face-off versus the Toledo Walleye on Grand Rapids Popcorn Night. The contest on December 11th coincides with the K-Wings' Saturday "Celebrity" Series, which will feature Kalamazoo's very own Debra Romer, who competed this season on NBC's hit series, "America's Got Talent". Saturday's game will also be a Win-Win Night presented by WNWN. If the K-Wings win, all fans in attendance will receive a FREE ticket to the K-Wings home game on December 15th. Also any fan that donates a new toy for Toys for Tots at the December 11th game will receive a FREE popcorn. The toys collected will benefit local children during the holiday season.
Catch all the K-Wings games, home and away, on the K-Wings Radio Network (95.9 FM WLKM & on kwings.com). Join the "Voice of the K-Wings" Mike Modugno for all 72 regular season games plus the playoffs. Pre-game coverage begins with the Kalsee Credit Union Pre-Game Show 15 minutes prior to face-off. For the most complete coverage of the K-Wings from the opening face-off to the final buzzer, keep your radio tuned this season to the K-Wings Radio Network.
Single game tickets for the 2010-2011 season are on sale at the Wings Stadium Ticket Office, Ticketmaster Outlets, including www.ticketmaster.com, Ticket Office hours are Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. For more information, please call Wings Stadium Ticket Office during regular business hours at (269) 345-5101.
Tickets for all K-Wings home games are on sale now and range in price from $9.90-$14.90 for adults and only $6.90 for kids ages 12 and under. The ticket prices for all K-Wings premium night games (all colored ice games and New Year's Eve game) are just $1 more.
Fans can save money by purchasing K-Wings single game tickets advance because on the day of a game, K-Wings tickets are $1 more.
For more information about tonight's game, please contact Mike Modugno, director of public relations and broadcaster at (269) 349-9772, extension 220.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2010
- K-Wings Defeat South Carolina 7-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Topple Stingrays 7-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Reign Holiday Ticket Plans on Sale Now - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Weekly Dec. 6-12 - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Condors in the Community: Evan Stoflet and Brendan Milnamow To Volunteer - Bakersfield Condors
- Grizzlies Acquire Igor Gongalsky to Complete Earlier Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Extend Winning Streak To Six Games - ECHL
- Salmon Kings Acquire D-Man Jeff Caister - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Road Warriors Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Head Back to California; Home December 15 for Five-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Return Home this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Square off Against Wings Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- A Week Of Giving At First Arena - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Trade Caister to Victoria - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Welcome Condors, Walleye This Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Weekly - Atlanta Gladiators
- Neuvirth Named the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumns of the Month - ECHL
- ECHL Today - December 6 - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.