Jose Medina Flashes the Power, Columbia Records Homer in Third Straight Game
GREENVILLE, SC - Columbia has experienced a bit of a power surge during the road trip. Jose Medina ripped his first home run of the season on Thursday night in Greenville, a missile over the Fenway Park-inspired "mini-Green-Monster" in left field. That was the only bit of offense for the Fireflies, though. The Drive took the opener by a final score of 5-1 at Fluor Field.
Columbia (13-15, 37-57) has now homered in three straight games and four of the last five for a total of six over those five contests:
July 18 @ Greenville - Jose Medina
July 17 @ West Virginia - Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton
July 16 @ West Virginia - Shervyen Newton
July 14 vs. Charleston - Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton
Medina undoubtedly crashed Newton and Vientos' party. It was the only run the Fireflies scored on Thursday against Greenville (13-15, 45-53) starter Brayan Bello (W, 4-6). The 20-year-old struck out six over six frames.
Bello's counterpart, Willy Taveras (L, 5-8), posted another fine start, too, on the bump. The right-hander struck out seven Drive batters over five innings of work and surrendered just two runs. It was a one-run game until the seventh inning. That was when Tristan Casas smashed his 17th homer of the year, a two-run blast that elevated the home team to victory.
The Fireflies and Drive now both sit 13-15, tied for fourth and two games out of first place.
Bottom 3: Brandon Howlett drives a double to deep center and brings in Grant Williams ... Devlin Granberg singles, scores Howlett. GVL 2, COL 0
Top 5: Jose Medina launches his first homer of the season. GVL 2, COL 1
Bottom 7: Tristan Casas drives his 17th home run of the season over the right-field wall. GVL 4, COL 1
Bottom 8: With the bases loaded, Grant Williams hits sacrifice fly to centerfield, plates Kole Cottam from third. GVL 5, COL 1
NEXT GAME: Fri., July 19
Location: Fluor Field
TIME: 7:05 ET
PROBABLES: RHP Jose Butto (4-7, 3.61) vs. RHP Alex Scherff (3-8, 5.40)
TUNE IN: FirefliesLiveStream.com
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Bullpen Helps 'Birds Lock out Power - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Seth Corry Leads the Way to 2-1 Win over Greensboro - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ramiz Notches Three Hits in 5-2 Loss to Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Opener to Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Kyle Datres Lines Walk off Winner in the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Drive Pull Away Late for 5-1 Win over Columbia - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Trail in Suspended Opener, Will Resume in Friday Doubleheader - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis Opens Series with 7-1 Win over Claws - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Jose Medina Flashes the Power, Columbia Records Homer in Third Straight Game - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 18 at Greenville (Game 94) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Rome Defeats Lexington 8-1 to Claim Series - Rome Braves
- Jackets Take Series from RiverDogs with 4-1 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies Announce Full 2020 Promotional Schedule
- John Kocsis Takes the Mic as New 'Voice of the Fireflies'
- Fireflies to Host Second Job Fair February 8
- Fireflies Now Accepting Nominations for Fourth Annual Military Hero Card Set
- Battle at BullStreet Tickets on Sale Now