Kannapolis Opens Series with 7-1 Win over Claws
KANNAPOLIS, NC - Ian Dawkins and Johan Cruz each had three hits as Kannpolis topped the BlueClaws 7-1 in the first of a four-game series on Thursday night at Intimidators Stadium.
Cruz, who went 3-3, reached base five times, drove in two, and scored two for Kannapolis (14-14/42-54).
The BlueClaws (9-17/38-58) saw their win streak snapped at two after they took the final two games of their series at Delmarva earlier this week.
The Intimidators opened the scoring in the third on an RBI double by Johan Cruz and added an RBI single from Romy Gonzalez to go up 2-0. They added three more in the fourth, including an RBI single from Cruz and two-run single by Alex Destino for a 5-0 lead.
After the BlueClaws scored a run on an error in the fifth, Kannapolis plated two more in the bottom of the fifth off Dominic Pipkin. One scored on a wild pitch and one on a double-play groundball that gave Kannapolis a 7-1 lead.
Lakewood starter Jhordany Mezquita (2-7) gave up two runs in 3.1 innings and took the loss. Andrew Schultz gave up two runs in 2/3 of an inning, as did Dominic Pipkin.
Mark Potter threw scoreless ball over 3.1 innings in relief, his longest outing of the season. Wilbur Perez (3-1) earned the win with 4.2 innings of scoreless relief.
McCarthy Tatum had two hits in the loss for the BlueClaws.
The teams continue their series on Friday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Francisco Morales (1-4) starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Kevin Folman (0-1).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws infielder McCarthy Tatum
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Bullpen Helps 'Birds Lock out Power - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Seth Corry Leads the Way to 2-1 Win over Greensboro - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ramiz Notches Three Hits in 5-2 Loss to Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Opener to Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Kyle Datres Lines Walk off Winner in the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Drive Pull Away Late for 5-1 Win over Columbia - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Trail in Suspended Opener, Will Resume in Friday Doubleheader - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis Opens Series with 7-1 Win over Claws - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Jose Medina Flashes the Power, Columbia Records Homer in Third Straight Game - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 18 at Greenville (Game 94) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Rome Defeats Lexington 8-1 to Claim Series - Rome Braves
- Jackets Take Series from RiverDogs with 4-1 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.