Kyle Datres Lines Walk off Winner in the Ninth
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists held only one lead on Thursday night against the Rome Braves and that lead was at the end of the ballgame. Kyle Datres stepped to the plate in a tie game with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning. Datres delivered a walk-off line drive single into left field and the Tourists beat the Braves 4-3.
Frederis Parra made his first start for Asheville in a little under three months and pitched very well. Parra chewed up six innings and allowed only two runs, one earned. Asheville manufactured their first run in the bottom of the fifth when Willie MacIver doubled and took third on a sacrifice bunt. It was Datres who knocked him in with an RBI groundout.
The Tourists tied the game in the bottom of the sixth when Terrin Vavra worked a two-out walk and then raced around the bases on a Coco Montes double off the right-field wall.
Both teams exchanged runs in the seventh inning. After Rome took a 3-2 lead in the top half, Daniel Montano blasted a 449-foot Home Run down the right field line to even up the score once again. Derrik Watson and Alexander Martinez kept the Braves from scoring in the next two innings to set the stage for the bottom of the ninth.
Vavra led off the final frame with a single. A sacrifice bunt and an intentional walk put runners at first and second. MacIver then singled into left field to load the bases. Datres came to the plate after Montano was retired and connected with the walk off winner.
The Tourists have walked off six times in their 24 home wins this season. Asheville and Rome are back at it on Friday night from McCormick Field at 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Bullpen Helps 'Birds Lock out Power - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Seth Corry Leads the Way to 2-1 Win over Greensboro - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ramiz Notches Three Hits in 5-2 Loss to Delmarva - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Opener to Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Kyle Datres Lines Walk off Winner in the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Drive Pull Away Late for 5-1 Win over Columbia - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Trail in Suspended Opener, Will Resume in Friday Doubleheader - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis Opens Series with 7-1 Win over Claws - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Jose Medina Flashes the Power, Columbia Records Homer in Third Straight Game - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 18 at Greenville (Game 94) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Rome Defeats Lexington 8-1 to Claim Series - Rome Braves
- Jackets Take Series from RiverDogs with 4-1 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.