Jones No-Hits Drillers into the 7th, Cardinals Win 3-1
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Oh, what a night.
Connor Jones spun a web of pop-outs, groundouts and strikeouts that created 6.1 beautifully efficient innings of no-hit baseball. Sure, that web got popped by a single to right in the seventh, but Jones patched that up with two quick outs to cap a huge performance with 4,070 fans watching at Hammons Field.
Jones' effort stuck Springfield on the right end of a much-needed 3-1 win over the Drillers that not only meant the Cardinals avoided a four-game sweep at home, but that they stay just two games behind the division-leading Travelers with Arkansas coming to town Wednesday.
That two-game North Division deficit could be cut to a single game by the end of the night, depending on the result of the Travelers and Naturals matchup.
In all, Jones tossed a season-high seven innings in a season-high 96 pitches, allowing just that single hit and a single walk that disappeared in the shadow of six strikeouts and a zero in the run column.
Tulsa created a bit of a scare in the ninth when they loaded the bases with one out against Estarlin Arias and Colton Thomson.
After Thomson walked in the Drillers first run, Yeison Medina got and answered the call, inducing a popout to second and lineout to left for his second save of the season.
ALL THEY NEEDED
Three runs in the third off Drillers starter and Dodgers No. 3 prospect Mitchell White was plenty for Cardinals pitching.
Victor Roache ended a three-inning pitchers duel with a single into left that brought Lane Thomas in from second. A couple pitches later, Chris Chinea hit a rocket that made its way over the left-field fence quicker than it got to the plate, putting the Cardinals up 3-0.
After quickly falling behind 2-0 to Granden Goetzman, White was pulled from his start after 3.2 innings.
The Cardinals will wake up Wednesday no more than two games behind the Travelers in the 1st-Half race with six games remaining.
In many ways, Springfield controls its own destiny with Arkansas coming to town for a four-game series starting Wednesday night. The Cardinals took three out of four from Arkansas in the only other series between the two at Hammons Field.
Northwest Arkansas sits just a game behind Arkansas at the conclusion of tonight's Cardinals game. A win by the Naturals on Wednesday would tie them for first with the Travelers and draw the Cardinals within a game.
The Drillers will be no more than three games back Wednesday. If the Naturals win Tuesday, Tulsa will remain two games behind in the division.
The Cardinals and Travelers open a key four-game series Wednesday night in Springfield with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 pm.
Wednesday is a Purina Woof Wednesday at the ballpark, meaning all Baseball Loving Dogs are invited to watch the game they love with their best friend. One owner ticket equals free entry for your Very Good Boy/Girl.
The Cardinals C.A.R.E. Pet Supply Drive is also Wednesday. Anyone who donates one of the requested items listed on www.SpringfieldCardinals.com may purchase a $1 ticket to Wednesday's game for each item donated.
All fans are encouraged to come out in their favorite jersey on Wednesday for 'Wear Your Favorite Jersey Wednesday.' Jerseys can be from any sport, not just baseball.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Jones No-Hits Drillers into the 7th, Cardinals Win 3-1 - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Plate Seven Unanswered, Capture Share of First in North Division - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Missions Earn Split Behind Keel's Brilliant Performance - San Antonio Missions
- Ninth Inning Rally Not Enough for Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks BP on the Blue Ghost - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Beck Homers in Loss to 'Hounds - Frisco RoughRiders
- Missions Drop 2nd Straight to Hooks - San Antonio Missions
- Hooks Plate Seven in 7th to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- De Goti & Ferrell Fuel CC - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Holiday Special on Dry-Fit Polos, Super-Soft Ts, Camo Caps & More
- Cards Christmas Specials & Stocking Stuffers
- Member Exclusive: Donuts with Santa & Louie this Saturday
- This Week Only: Christmas Bobbleheads, Ornaments, Leg Lamps and More
- Family Christmas Photos with Louie Claus in the Cardinals Clubhouse