De Goti & Ferrell Fuel CC
CORPUS CHRISTI - Alex De Goti belted two home runs and Riley Ferrell spun 2 1/3 shutout frames to earn his fifth save of the year as Corpus Christi wrapped up a 6-4 triumph over San Antonio before 6,365 fans Monday night at Whataburger Field.
The Hooks (38-25), who shoot for a series win Tuesday night, trail the first-place Missions (39-24) by one game in the Texas League South. Seven contests remain in the first half.
Myles Straw opened the Corpus Christi first with his first home run of the year.
The Hooks cracked two more dingers off Lake Bachar in the fourth. Taylor Jones began the frame with his 11th blast of the year. Randy Cesar was next and seared a double into right-center, extending his hit streak to a club record 33 games. One batter, De Goti hit a line-drive over the fence in left to make it 4-0 Corpus Christi.
Jones' two-out RBI double in the fifth off Trevor Frank put the Hooks up by five.
Lefty Cionel Perez marched through the first five innings, holding the Missions to two hits. The first four reached in the San Antonio sixth, including a bases-loaded walk by Webster Rivas, ending Perez's night. Justin Ferrell, who issued a bases-full free pass to Michael Gettys, was able to escape the jam with only two runs allowed.
De Goti responded in the home half with his seventh round-tripper of 2018. The Miami native boasts two multi-homer games in the last four nights.
The Missions final push came in the seventh. A Fernando Tatis double and Ty France's walk set the stage for Rivas' two-out, two-run two-bagger.
Riley Ferrell entered from the pen and slammed the door, stranding four while recording a season-high seven outs. The TCU product has not allowed an earned run in his last eight outings. Ferrell has struck out 13 against one walk in 9 2/3 innings during this stretch.
Akeem Bostick (0-1, 2.89) gets the ball for Corpus Christi Tuesday night. The Missions counter with lefty Jerry Keel (4-2, 5.35).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Jones No-Hits Drillers into the 7th, Cardinals Win 3-1 - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Plate Seven Unanswered, Capture Share of First in North Division - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Missions Earn Split Behind Keel's Brilliant Performance - San Antonio Missions
- Ninth Inning Rally Not Enough for Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks BP on the Blue Ghost - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Beck Homers in Loss to 'Hounds - Frisco RoughRiders
- Missions Drop 2nd Straight to Hooks - San Antonio Missions
- Hooks Plate Seven in 7th to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- De Goti & Ferrell Fuel CC - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Hartman, Cesar Named Hooks Pitcher & Player of the Year
- October 25 at Whataburger Field: Halloween with the Hooks
- Astros Playoff Gear at Hook, Line, & Sinker
- Former Hooks James, Tucker Named Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- Hooks Tabbed Texas League Organization of the Year