Jake Neighbours Named to Team Canada for 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup
(CALGARY, AB) - Oil Kings forward Jake Neighbours was one of 22 players named to Team Canada's roster ahead of the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup in Breclav, Czech Republic and Piestany, Slovakia, taking place August 5-10, 2019.
Hockey Canada finalized its roster Tuesday following a five-day selection camp that saw 44 players participate in on- and off-ice sessions, including three intrasquad games at WinSport's Canada Olympic Park in Calgary.
The roster consists of two goaltenders, seven defencemen and 13 forwards, including two players who were a part of Canada's National Men's Under-18 Team that competed at the 2019 IIHF U18 World Championship in Sweden last April. Twenty-one of the 22 players, including Neighbours, participated in the 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Saint John and Quispamsis, N.B.
"We were pleased with the level of competition at selection camp, and our staff is confident in the 22 players that have earned their spot on Team Canada for the Hlinka Gretzky Cup," said Brad McEwen, head scout for the Program of Excellence. "The skill and intensity showed by all 44 players at camp made our decisions difficult, but we know our players and staff will embrace the opportunity to wear the Maple Leaf as we look to bring home a gold medal."
The selections were made by McEwen, Alan Millar, the U18 lead for the Program of Excellence management group, and Ben Shutron, manager of men's national teams for Hockey Canada. Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team coaching staff, including head coach Michael Dyck and assistant coaches Mario Duhamel and Dennis Williams, provided input into the final player selections.
Canada will face off against Slovakia in pre-tournament action on Saturday, August 3 in Piestany before moving on to Breclav, where it opens the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup against Finland on Monday, August 5 at 7:30 AM MT. All Team Canada tournament games will be broadcast by TSN and RDS; please check local listings for details.
In 2018, the tournament was rebranded as the Hlinka Gretzky Cup and co-hosted by Edmonton and Red Deer, AB. Oil Kings defenceman Matthew Robertson and forward Josh Williams were members of Team Canada which captured gold on home ice at Rogers Place, defeating Sweden 6-2 in the gold medal game.
Canada has won gold 22 times in 28 years of summer under-18 competition, along with two silver medals and one bronze.
For more information on Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along via social media on Facebook, Twitter and Twitter.com/HC_Men.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from July 30, 2019
- City of Calgary Votes to Proceed with Development of New Event Centre, Together with Calgary Sports and Entertainment and Calgary Stampede - Calgary Hitmen
- Silvertips Announce Full Promotional and Giveaway Schedule for the 2019-20 Season - Everett Silvertips
- Seth Jarvis to Compete for Team Canada - Portland Winterhawks
- Winnipeg ICE Forward Connor McClennon Named to Canada's Roster for 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Winnipeg Ice
- Adam Brown joins Hockey Canada's staff at Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Hockey Canada Names Nine WHL Players to Roster for 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - WHL
- Guhle, Wiesblatt Named to Hlinka Gretzky Cup Team - Prince Albert Raiders
- Justin Sourdif Named to Canada's Hlinka Gretzky Cup Roster - Vancouver Giants
- Jake Neighbours Named to Team Canada for 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- T-Birds Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule - Seattle Thunderbirds
- CHL Names Dan MacKenzie First Full-Time President - WHL
- Cougars Announce Scouting Staff Additions - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Canadian Hockey League Launches Memorial ECup Tournament
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett