CHL Names Dan MacKenzie First Full-Time President
July 30, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The Canadian Hockey League (CHL) today announced Dan MacKenzie, a long time NBA executive, has been named the league's first full-time President. MacKenzie, who begins with the CHL in September, will report to the CHL Executive Council consisting of the commissioners of the three member leagues - David Branch of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), Gilles Courteau of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), and Ron Robison of the Western Hockey League (WHL).
As President of the CHL, MacKenzie will be responsible for growing the game, along with enhancing the player and fan experience.
"Dan has a unique combination of league operations, sports marketing and business experience along with being a former school teacher. His experience will help the CHL continue to grow and expand our programs and player experience," said Branch. "The CHL conducted an extensive search to find the ideal candidate to assume this role. Gilles, Ron and I are confident that Dan is that person. We look forward to working with him."
"It's an honour to be named the CHL's first full-time president," said MacKenzie. "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with the Commissioners on strengthening the CHL and building on the strong foundation that currently exists. Growing up and living in Guelph, Ontario I understand the unique position that CHL teams hold in their communities and look forward to working with our teams to deepen the connection with our fans."
MacKenzie has more than 20 years of experience working at the NBA, including the last eight years as Managing Director of NBA Canada. During his time leading the NBA in Canada, he spearheaded many of the league's signature achievements in the country and this season was instrumental in the NBA's record-breaking year in Canada, that included the most-viewed NBA season in history, a record 32 marketing partners activating across the country, and the all-time mark for NBA merchandise sales.
"Under Dan's leadership, basketball and the NBA's popularity in Canada have grown to all-time highs," said NBA Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer Mark Tatum. "Among Dan's many accomplishments, he oversaw the success of NBA All-Star 2016 in Toronto, the expansion of our Jr. NBA program, and most recently a record-setting season for the NBA in Canada. We thank Dan for his contributions to the NBA over the last two decades and wish him the best of luck in his new role."
MacKenzie sits on the Licensing Industry Merchandisers' Association (LIMA) Canada Board of Advisors, was the former Chair of the Sponsorship Marketing Council of Canada (SMCC) and was the recipient of the George Brown College Alumni Achievement Award. He holds a Masters degree in Sports Management from the University of Ohio, a Bachelor of Commerce degree from McMaster University, a Bachelor of Education degree from Brock University, and is a graduate of George Brown College Sport and Event Marketing Program. MacKenzie currently lives in Guelph with his wife, two children and their dog.
Branch, who has held the dual role of Commissioner of the OHL and CHL President since 1996, will continue as the Commissioner of the OHL.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from July 30, 2019
- City of Calgary Votes to Proceed with Development of New Event Centre, Together with Calgary Sports and Entertainment and Calgary Stampede - Calgary Hitmen
- Silvertips Announce Full Promotional and Giveaway Schedule for the 2019-20 Season - Everett Silvertips
- Seth Jarvis to Compete for Team Canada - Portland Winterhawks
- Winnipeg ICE Forward Connor McClennon Named to Canada's Roster for 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Winnipeg Ice
- Adam Brown joins Hockey Canada's staff at Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Hockey Canada Names Nine WHL Players to Roster for 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - WHL
- Guhle, Wiesblatt Named to Hlinka Gretzky Cup Team - Prince Albert Raiders
- Justin Sourdif Named to Canada's Hlinka Gretzky Cup Roster - Vancouver Giants
- Jake Neighbours Named to Team Canada for 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- T-Birds Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule - Seattle Thunderbirds
- CHL Names Dan MacKenzie First Full-Time President - WHL
- Cougars Announce Scouting Staff Additions - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.