Jacks Sweep Four-Game Set Over Bees with 5-2 Win
ODESSA, TX - Two power play goals in the third period turned a one-goal game into a 5-2 win for the Odessa Jackalopes (16-14-2) over the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees (13-17-3) on Saturday night at the Ector County Coliseum. The Jackalopes won all four games against the Bees over the week for their first four-game win streak of the season.
Mike Ramsay and Phil Plante scored the third period goals. For Ramsay it was the second straight night with a two-goal performance and for Plante it was his first goal the season in his 31st game.
Both teams traded goals in the first period as Sebastien Thinel opened up the scoring three minutes into the game on a loose puck to the right side of the crease. It was the 53rd point of the year for the league's leading scorer and extended his point streak to five games. Zak McClellan knotted the game on a turnover in the Odessa zone that turned into a 3-on-1 rush for the Bees with McClellan finishing the play from the left side of the crease.
Alternating goals continued to be the story in period two as the Jacks took a 2-1 lead on Kenny Bernard's goal at 5:35 before the Bees tied the game again off Brandon Smith's slap shot from the left-wing boards midway through. The Jacks regained the one-goal lead on Ramsay's shot between the top of the circles with 1:12 remaining in the frame. Ramsay's tally also made it four straight games for the forward with a goal.
David McKee stopped 39 shots in his second appearance of the year for the Jacks to improve to 2-0-0 on the year. Dan Rosen stopped 32 shots for the Bees in the loss.
Todd Robinson, Dominic Leveille, and Thinel also finished with two points for the Jacks to go along with Ramsay.
The Jackalopes now embark on their annual "rodeo road trip" for the next seven games - their longest road trip of the season. The team visits the Texas Brahmas on Friday to start a weekend set. Game time is set for 7:30 PM CST.
The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 1, 2011
- Graham's Hat Trick Not Enough for Americans in Loss to Colorado - Allen Americans
- Late Goals Doom Mavs, Lose 3-2 to Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Shock Missouri 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Jacks Sweep Four-Game Set Over Bees with 5-2 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Killer Bees Can't Catch Odessa, Fall 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mudbugs Rock RiverKings on "Soupy" Campbell Night - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Start New Year with Win - Laredo Bucks
- Bossier Blasts RiverKings 8-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- PrairieThunder Defeat Evansville 4-1 on Saturday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Gems defeated 4-3 by Fort Wayne - Dayton Gems
- Offense Reigns In 2011 - Colorado Eagles
- Oilers Flow Overtakes Brahmas - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Close out Set with 'Dogs Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.