Jacks Set for "Shriners Weekend" March 19th and 20th
(Odessa, TX) - The Odessa Jackalopes announced on Monday they are partnering with the Shriners Hospitals for Children for "Shriners Weekend" as the Central Hockey League team closes out its regular season March 19th and 20th vs. Laredo and Rapid City at the Ector County Coliseum.
The Jackalopes, who are one victory away from capturing the CHL's Governor's Cup (regular season champion), will help raise funds for Shriners Hospitals for Children, a national system of hospitals dedicated to providing specialized care to children. The Jacks will wear specialty jerseys designed around the Shriners, which will be auctioned off after Saturday's game.
The Shriners will provide other activities over the weekend, including a Chili Cookoff and free live entertainment from Midland-based rock band GloveBox Saturday afternoon in the east parking lot of the Coliseum.
"The activities prior to the game should be just as entertaining as the game itself," said Jackalopes General Manager, Joe Clark. "We're hoping to raise a great deal of funds for the Shriners Hospitals. They are putting their full weight behind this weekend's games, and the Ector County Coliseum should be rocking for a very good cause."
Michasel Vasquez, El Maida Odessa Shrine Club president, is coordinating the efforts for the Shriners. The Chili Cookoff will include four categories (beans, brisket, ribs & chili), and the live concert with GloveBox will begin at 5:00 PM.
"This should be a great event," said Vasquez. "Everyone has come together to help the kids, and we've received tremendous support from not only the Jackalopes but from the Permian Basin community."
For more information about the Chili Cookoff or the live concert, call (432) 978-9956, or contact the Jackalopes office at (432) 552-7825.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2010
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- CPL, Killer Bees Taking Hockey To The Streets Of The Valley - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Playoff Tickets To Game One On Sale Tuesday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly Notes - Allen Americans
- Playoff Tickets On Sale Friday, 10 a.m. - Colorado Eagles
- Circelli Named CHL's Player of the Week - Odessa Jackalopes
- Colorado Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
- Go Green Week Continues Tomorrow vs. Mississippi - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks' Pelletier Named Goaltender of the Week - Laredo Bucks
- Oakley CHL Player/Goaltender of the Week Announced - CHL
- Mudbugs Weekly Release for Monday, March 15 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- City, LEC, Bucks to Make Major Announcement Wednesday - Laredo Bucks
- Justin Quenneville Named CHL Man Of The Year - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Sundogs Notes: March 15, 2010 - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Home Twice This Week In Search of Third Seed - Laredo Bucks
- Justin Quenneville Named CHL Man of the Year - CHL
- Oilers Weekly - Tulsa Oilers
- Jacks Set for "Shriners Weekend" March 19th and 20th - Odessa Jackalopes
- Thunder Finishes Home Schedule - Wichita Thunder
- Jackalopes Weekly Update - Odessa Jackalopes
- RiverKings Weekly Update - Mississippi RiverKings