Jacks Lose Season Opener to Missouri, 5-3
INDEPENDENCE, MO - Gerry Festa's 29 saves and Ryan Jardine's shorthanded goal in the third period propelled the Missouri Mavericks to a 5-3 win over the Odessa Jackalopes on Friday night at the Independence Events Center. Kenny Corupe tallied two goals for the Jackalopes in the losing effort.
Jardine's shorthanded goal came nearly five minutes into the third period and opened up a 3-1 lead for the Mavericks after his wrist shot from the left circle on a breakaway rush beat Marc-Antoine Gelinas into the top right corner.
Kenny Corupe's first goal came at 10:13 of the third frame to pull Odessa back to within one, but the Mavericks responded 32 seconds later with a goal from Ray DiLauro to regain the two-goal cushion at 4-2 and never looked back.
The game's scoring began at 6:29 of the first period when Nick Sirota rushed the net and tapped home a rebound to make it 1-0, Mavericks. Odessa responded with just over five minutes remaining in the period as Brady Leisenring scored his first of the season in a crowd at the front of the net. Sebastien Thinel recorded an assist on the Leisenring tally.
Mike Wakita scored the only goal of the second period on a wrist shot from the left point that deflected off player in front of the goal at 3:19. Wakita's goal created a 2-1 Missouri lead that set up Jardine's shorthanded heroics.
Tab Lardner also added a third period goal for Missouri, before Corupe's second of the game at 16:01 of the third to make it 5-3. Darryl Bootland's shot between the circles was deflected by Corupe in front of the net. Bootland also tallied an assist on Corupe's first goal of the game.
Festa picked up his first win of the season in net for the Mavericks with 29 saves. Gelinas turned aside 20 shots for the Jackalopes in the loss.
Odessa continues their season-opening road trip on Saturday in Moline, IL against the Quad City Mallards. Game time is set for 7:05 PM and the action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 15, 2010
- Miscues Lead to Eagles Loss in Opener - Colorado Eagles
- Two Hat Tricks Highlight 10-1 Thrashing of 'Kings - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavericks Win Season Opener, 5-3 over Odessa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Williams' Four Points Help Sundogs Open Season with Win for First Time in Since 2007-08 Season - Arizona Sundogs
- Killer Bees Open Season With Victory - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Jacks Lose Season Opener to Missouri, 5-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Fall in Opener 4-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Bugs Bounce RiverKings in Season Opener 10-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Brahmas Open Season With 5-2 Loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers Clip Thunder on Opening Night - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards, Mediacom Partner for "Between the Pipes"; Flock Opens - Quad City Mallards
- Joly, Chris Hau Waived from Eagles Roster - Colorado Eagles
- Witness the New Era Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Game Tonight - Friday Oct 15 at 7:35pm at the Bok Center vs Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks Open Season Tonight at Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point for October 15, 2010 - CHL
- CHL Launches New Website - CHL
- Sundogs Announce 2010-11 Regular Season Roster - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.