Jacks, Eagles Game Called After Third Period Brawl
LOVELAND, CO - With 10:34 remaining in the third period and the Odessa Jackalopes holding a 3-1 lead over the Colorado Eagles, a brawl broke out on the ice which ultimately led the game being called by the officials at the Budweiser Events Center on Saturday night in Loveland, CO. The Jackalopes walked off the ice and their bench to the locker room forcing the action by the officials. The game was ruled a forfeit by the Jackalopes.
The brawl capped off a third period that started with six fights in the first 1:40. Brad MacMillen's attack of Odessa's Dave Van Drunen off a faceoff in the Odessa zone is what sparked the brawl. MacMillen was given a major penalty, a game misconduct for instigating, and a match penalty for intent to injure. Two other Colorado players were also given game misconducts.
Odessa opened up the game's scoring with a power play goal from Kenny Bernard at 5:11 and an even-strength goal from Sebastien Thinel at 9:17 to make it 2-0, Odessa. Thinel's goal came on a wrap-around effort that deflected off the back of goaltender Kyle Jones. Adam Hogg cut the lead in half for Colorado with less than two minutes remaining in the frame, after his wrist shot from the left circle beat Marc-Antoine Gelinas. Hogg's opportunity came off a faceoff win by Steve Haddon.
Mike Ramsay scored the second period's only goal as Odessa regained the two-goal cushion with a 3-1 lead. Darryl Bootland fed a cross-ice pass to Todd Robinson, who tapped it back to Ramsay from the right goal post. Ramsay placed a wrist shot into an open net at 4:34 for Odessa's second power play goal of the night. Despite the 3-1 lead, Colorado held a large shot advantage through forty minutes of play, 27-11.
The Jackalopes wrap up the preseason splitting their games against the Eagles. Marc-Antoine Gelinas finished the game with 34 saves.
The Odessa Jackalopes return home and resume training camp practices on Monday at 9:00 AM at Music City Mall. The team will head back on the road Wednesday night for Missouri, where they will open the season against the Mavericks on October 15th. Game time is scheduled for 7:00 PM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2010
- Jacks, Eagles Game Called After Third Period Brawl - Odessa Jackalopes
- Rush Top Sundogs 4-2 in Preseason Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Odessa Forfeits Preseason Game - Colorado Eagles
- Bugs Drop Preseason Opener in Shootout - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Texas Goes Perfect In Preseason, Win 2-1 Over Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Doubled-Up, 4-2, by Menei, Rapid City in Preseason Opener - Arizona Sundogs
- Mallards Outgun Bloomington 6-4 in Preseason Tilt - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Finish Pre-Season 2-0 with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Christian nets game-winner as final shooter in RiverKings' debut - Mississippi RiverKings
- Gems Blow Out Komets 6-1 - Dayton Gems
- Oilers Storm Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder loses at Quad City 6-4 on Saturday night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Florida Panthers Send Rookie Goalie to Mudbugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Release Six - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Place Three on Waivers - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rush Set to Take on Arizona Sundogs in Pair of Preseason Games - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.