Jackals Season Ends In Florida Fall On Road in Game 6
ESTERO, Fla. - April 15, 2013 - The Elmira Jackals dropped a 7-2 decision to the Florida Everblades on Monday night at Germain Arena. The loss eliminated Elmira from the playoffs as the Everblades claimed the quarterfinal series four games to two.
Florida wasted little time breaking open the scoring in the first period. Brayden Irwin, just sent down from AHL Norfolk, won a faceoff back to Maury Edwards at the blue line. His slap shot got past a screened Maxime Clermont high to the glove side 3:16 in. Florida was then awarded a power play less than a minute later, but the Jackals wound up picking up a shorthanded goal from Jordan Pietrus. It was his second shorthanded goal of the series, and like the first, was set up by Rob Bellamy. The game didn't stay tied long, though, thanks to Florida's Mathieu Roy scoring on the power play 22 seconds after Pietrus. Florida scored twice more on Clermont before the period ended with Adam Brace finishing off a 2-on-1 at 8:00 and David Rutherford spiking home a one-timer 1:22 later.
Elmira looked to have swung momentum early in the second when Chaz Johnson cut Florida's lead to two by finishing off a 2-on-1 with Louie Caporusso at 1:49. But Florida clamped down the defense from there and picked up a pair of goals in response to head into the third up by four. Brandon MacLean scored off an odd-man rush midway through the frame and Roy added a late power play marker for his second of the game.
In the third, Elmira's offense was smothered by a 'Blades team that was looking to close out the series. The Jackals managed four shots on goal in the third, and never got in gear for a potential comeback. Florida's A.J. Jenks capped the scoring by snapping a shot past Clermont with 7:53 gone by.
Clermont took his second loss of the series in stopping 30 of 37 shots. The Jackals were 0-for-3 on the power play and 3-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Jackals would like to thank all of their season ticket holders, sponsors, and fans for their support through a memorable 2012-13 season. Thanks also go out to all of the arena and game-day staff for their tireless work throughout the season. We look forward to enjoying another great year of Jackals hockey with all of you beginning in October of 2013.
Don't miss out! Season tickets for the 2013-14 Jackals season are on sale right now. Season tickets offer great value and the best discount on Jackals tickets. The Jackals also offer flexible payment options on season tickets and you can reserve yours with a deposit as low as $50 per seat. Call 607-734-7825 to talk to a Jackals representative or visit the First Arena Box Office between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. for more information on Jackals season tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2013
- Everblades Capture Series with 7-2 Victory in Game 6 - Florida Everblades
- Jackals Season Ends In Florida Fall On Road in Game 6 - Elmira Jackals
- Royals to Face Florida in Eastern Conference Semi-Finals - Reading Royals
- Radio Recon Ready for Take-Off - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Brandon Davidson Named Fred T. Hunt Award Winner - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Gladiators Weekly Update for April 15th - Atlanta Gladiators
- Watch the Jackals at Party Central Tonight - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Annual Equipment Sale Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- John McFarland Returns from San Antonio - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Hockey-Thon Raises $18,500 - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Forward Alden Hirschfeld Returns to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Defenseman Ryan Button Returns to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Toledo Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - April 15 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.