Jackalopes Top Sundogs in 5-3 Win
ODESSA, TX - Jeff Pierce scored two goals and Kenny Bernard added a shorthanded marker late in the third period as the Odessa Jackalopes closed the door on their homestand with a 5-3 win over the Arizona Sundogs on Tuesday night at the Ector County Coliseum. The Jackalopes finished their four games on home ice going 2-2-0.
Kenny Corupe and Alex Dunn also scored for the Jackalopes (9-12-1). Sebastien Thinel added three assists to bring his league-leading point total to 39..
Arizona's Tyler Butler scored a power play goal with less than five minutes remaining in the final period to tighten the score to 4-3, before Bernard responded for Odessa a minute later on a breakaway.
Arizona (8-10-3) started the game's scoring 4:38 into the contest with a power play goal from Luke Erickson for his team-leading 19th point of the season. Alex Dunn responded for Odessa with 7:57 left in the period when his slapshot from the top of the right circle bounced off the crossbar and in the net. Mike Ramsay and Dominic Leveille added the assists.
The Jackalopes snapped the 1-1 tie in second period with two goals in a 19 second span. Kenny Corupe scored his seventh of the season at 5:58 before Pierce added his first of the game from the slot. Thinel picked up the assists on both goals.
Pierce then struck again with a little over five minutes remaining in the period on another goal from the slot. This time on the power play after Thinel fed a centering pass from the right-wing corner. Jim Driscoll scored for the Sundogs with 2:34 left in the frame to make it a two-goal contest again. Odessa held a 4-2 advantage after forty minutes of play.
Michel Robinson made 35 saves for his third win of the season. Arizona's Levente Szuper stopped 29 shots in the loss.
Odessa's Todd Robinson did not register a point in the game, bringing his point streak to close at nine games.
The Jackalopes now travel to Colorado this weekend for a pair of games against the Eagles. Friday's contest will start at 8:05 PM CST and can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2010
- Rush Drop First Game of Road Trip 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Jackalopes Top Sundogs in 5-3 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Odessa Deals Arizona First Regulation Loss in Nine Road Games, 5-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Point Earned Down South in 3-2 OT Loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Beat Brahmas in OT - Laredo Bucks
- Szuper Earns Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Honors for Second Time in Three Weeks - Arizona Sundogs
- Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Announced - CHL
- PrairieThunder this Week - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Gems Receiving National Recognition in Hockey Realm - Dayton Gems
- CHL 'Oakley Three Stars' for November Announced - CHL
- Gems Announce Watch Parties for Road Games - Dayton Gems
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.