Iowa Rallies in Double Overtime over Sioux Falls
DES MOINES, Iowa - In just the second game of the 2021-22 season, the Iowa Wolves and the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the G League played a double-overtime thriller Monday night at Wells Fargo Arena. Iowa (2-0), which trailed by 20 points with five minutes left in regulation, gutted out a 129-125 win over Sioux Falls (0-2).
Minnesota Timberwolves' two-way guard McKinley Wright IV poured in a game-high 35 points for the Wolves with his last four points coming on a four-point play with less than one second left on the clock in the second overtime. Wright swished a deep three-ball from the left wing and was knocked to the ground as he calmly swished the free throw to seal the massive comeback win.
Wright was one of four Iowa played in double-figures while Sioux Falls had seven players record double-digits led by Trey Mourning who scored 25 points behind a 9-for-9 shooting performance. In his season debut, Micah Potter scored 20 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for the Skyforce.
McKinley's layup with less than two seconds in regulation forced the first overtime with the game at 117-117. Timberwolves' assignee guard Leandro Bolmaro scored 25 points, including making 5-of-9 from three. His final three with just 1.5 seconds left in the first overtime was the biggest as it evened the game at 123-all and sent it to the second OT. Isaiah Briscoe and Isaiah Miller added 24 and 14 points, respectively, off the bench.
Iowa, which trailed by eight points at halftime and 13 going into the fourth quarter, outscored Sioux Falls, 56-39 in the fourth quarter and two overtimes.
Iowa will have one week off before the Grand Rapids Charge visit Wells Fargo Arena on Monday, November 15 for a 7 p.m. game. Sioux Falls returns home to host Grand Rapids on Thursday, November 11.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 8, 2021
- Iowa Rallies in Double Overtime over Sioux Falls - Iowa Wolves
- Late Dagger Sinks Charge - Cleveland Charge
- Greensboro Swarm Announce Game Change - Greensboro Swarm
- Motor City Cruise Claim Cheick Diallo off Waivers - Motor City Cruise
- Stockton Kings and Kaiser Permanente Partner to Promote Health and Wellness - Stockton Kings
- Lakeland Magic Announce Share the Magic Ticket Program in Partnership with Amway - Lakeland Magic
- Knicks Drop Season Opener to Go-Go - Westchester Knicks
- Timberwolves Transfer Nathan Knight from the G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs to Become Los Raros de Austin for Three Games this Season - Austin Spurs
- Windy City Earns First Victory of Season, Knocks off Mad Ants - Windy City Bulls
- Go-Go Use Big Fourth Quarter to Top Knicks and Earn Weekend Sweep - Capital City Go-Go
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Iowa Wolves Close Season with 124-114 Win over Oklahoma City Blue
- Iowa Wolves Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 111-106 Win over Oklahoma City
- Iowa Wolves Drop Home Game to Birmingham Squadron, 114-106
- Santa Cruz Rallies for Overtime Win over Iowa
- Iowa Wolves Add Sam Cunliffe