Intimidators Win Third-Straight in Slugfest in North Augusta
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. - The Kannapolis Intimidators (11-6, 39-46) battled from behind late to notch their third-straight road victory against the Augusta GreenJackets (9-8, 45-40) Saturday night at SRP Park, 9-5.
Augusta struck first on Saturday night in the bottom of the second inning. Zander Clarke initially hit a sacrifice fly to center field to score Frankie Tostado and go up 1-0. Later in the same inning, Andres Angulo singled and scoredJacob Gonzalez to double the lead to 2-0.
Kannapolis got one run back in the top of the third when Andrew Vaughn tallied his first RBI as an Intimidator with a sac fly to score Ramon Beltre.
Augusta answered right back in the bottom of the third with a few runs of the their own. Tostado doubled to scoreAnyesber Sivira and Jose Layer. Jacob Gonzalez then singled to score Tostado and extend the lead to 5-1 for the GreenJackets.
In the top of the fifth, Kannapolis tacked one more run by way of Bryce Bush walking with the bases loaded to scoreIan Dawkins to make things 5-2.
The Intimidators once again scored one run in the top of the sixth due to an Ian Dawkins single that scored Johan Cruz that cut the deficit to 5-3.
Taylor Varnell (W, 5-3) exited the game after six innings, giving up eight hits, five earned runs and striking out eight. It wasn't his most efficient outing of the season but left the Intimidators within striking distance when Wyatt Burns (S, 1) came in for relief.
Finally, in the top of the seventh, Kannapolis was able to pull themselves ahead. Things got started from a Michael Hickman single that scored Alex Destino and Cruz to tie the game at 5-5. Immediately after, Beltre doubled to score Cruz and Hickman to take the 7-5 lead.
A couple more insurance runs were due for Kannapolis in the top of the ninth. Vaughn was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score Beltre. Alex Destino then grounded into a force out but scored Dawkins in the process to head into the bottom of the ninth up 9-5.
Burns pitched a scoreless ninth and earned a rare three-inning save for the Intimidators. Dawkins finished with a three-hit day, while Cruz tallied two hits and two runs scored. In his second game with the team, Vaughn collected two RBI.
Kannapolis will look for the four-game series sweep against Augusta Sunday afternoon at 2:05 p.m. with Jason Bilous(2-5, 3.10 ERA) on the bump.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 6, 2019
- Asheville Uses Late Rally to Beat Rome 4-0 - Rome Braves
- Eight-Run First Powers 'Birds by Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Burt Homers, RiverDogs Roll in Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to RiverDogs on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Cloud Suns with Eight-Run First - Hagerstown Suns
- West Virginia Pitching Too Much for Legends in Game Three - Lexington Legends
- Reed Crushes Walk off Homerun in 7-6 Victory - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Win Third-Straight in Slugfest in North Augusta - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Kannapolis Wins Series with 9-5 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sweet Strikes out Career-High 10 Batters in 4-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Hoppers Take Two from Claws on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Schmidt, Harlow and Bosiokovic Combine to Shutout Braves - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 6 at Hickory (Game 83) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 6) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Let One Slip Through Fingers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Newton's Four-Hit Night Flusters Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Ballers Share Disappointment on Postponed Inaugural Season
- Cannon Ballers Making Strides in Community
- Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Vince Marcucci, Assistant General Manager
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Mike Wolf, Director of Stadium Operations