Inter Miami CF Stadium to Host 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Preliminary Round in July
Concacaf has announced that Inter Miami CF Stadium in South Florida will host the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Round (Prelims). This will serve as the official start to the Gold Cup and is a key part of what is sure to be a vibrant summer of football in the region, which will include the Concacaf Nations League Finals in June and the Concacaf Gold Cup in July and August.
For 2021, Concacaf's flagship competition will for the first time include the Prelims prior to the 16 team Group Stage. The 12 nations participating in the Prelims qualified through their Concacaf Nations League performances and will compete for the final three spots in the Gold Cup Group Stage.
"We look forward with great anticipation to this summer's Gold Cup, which will undoubtedly be enhanced by this new Preliminary Round," said Concacaf President and FIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani."The past year has been very challenging in our region and our thoughts are with all the communities that have suffered. We hope the opportunity to watch the best men's national teams in Concacaf compete in our flagship tournament can provide fans with some hope and enjoyment."
"All 12 of the competing nations in the Prelims will get a full Gold Cup experience at the excellent Inter Miami facilities and we look forward to a great set of games," added Montagliani.
"We look forward to hosting the Gold Cup Prelims tournament in our stadium," said Inter Miami CF Managing Owner Jorge Mas. "Our facilities in Fort Lauderdale were built with the intent of giving our fans opportunities to enjoy the world's game knowing that our vibrant culture and sports-centric region would be attractive for global teams and competitions. This is just the beginning of the great things that lie ahead."
12 nations will play from July 2-6, 2021, at Inter Miami CF Stadium, a brand-new football-specific stadium inaugurated just last year. The centralized venue, which includes an 18,000-capacity stadium sitting adjacent to a 50,000-square-foot training center with seven fields spanning across 34-acres, will allow for teams to play matches and train in one location.
For Round One of the Prelims, the teams were drawn into six matchups and will play as follows:
Round One - July 2 and 3
Matchup #1: Haiti vs St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Matchup #2: Guatemala vs Guyana
Matchup #3: Trinidad and Tobago vs Monserrat
Matchup #4: Cuba vs French Guiana
Matchup #5: Guadeloupe vs Bahamas
Matchup #6: Bermuda vs Barbados
The six Round One winners will qualify for the second round and will play as follows:
Round Two - July 6
Matchup #7: Winner Matchup #1 vs Winner Matchup #6
Matchup #8: Winner Matchup #2 vs Winner Matchup #5
Matchup #9: Winner Matchup #3 vs Winner Matchup #4
The winning nation in each of the three Round Two matchups will advance to the Group Stage of the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup, where they were drawn into Group A, B and C as follows:
Group A: Mexico, El Salvador, Curacao, and Winner Prelims 9
Group B: USA, Canada, Martinique, and Winner Prelims 7
Group C: Costa Rica, Jamaica, Suriname, and Winner Prelims 8
Group D: Honduras, Panama, Grenada, and Qatar.
Additional details regarding the Prelims, including ticket sales information, will be announced in the coming weeks.
Concacaf will in due course provide information regarding the local and federal protocols related to the Covid-19 pandemic which will need to be observed by attending fans. This will include a requirement to adhere to state health guidelines and any Concacaf or venue protocols and regulations.
The 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup group stage will kick off on July 10 and run through August 1, 2021 and will feature 16 national teams, of which Canada, Costa Rica, Curaçao, El Salvador, Grenada, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, eight-time and defending champion Mexico, Panama, Suriname, six-time champion United States, are already qualified to the group stage of the tournament. Additionally, Qatar has been invited to the tournament as the current champion and representative of the Asian Football Confederation. The remaining three countries will qualify through the Gold Cup Prelims, in which 12 Member Associations will compete for the final three spots, to be played July 2-6- at Inter Miami CF Stadium in South Florida.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 8, 2021
- Nashville SC 2021 Single Game Tickets on Sale Today to General Public in the 300 Level for the First Two Matches - Nashville SC
- Single Match Ticket on Sale Times Announced - Inter Miami CF
- Rapids Forward Andre Shinyashiki Embraces Evolving Role in the Locker Room - Colorado Rapids
- T-Mobile Tour: Coming to a Location Near You - Nashville SC
- Orlando City SC Signs 2021 MLS SuperDraft Selection Rio Hope-Gund - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Stadium to Host 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Preliminary Round in July - Inter Miami CF
- Whitecaps FC to Host 2021 Virtual Fan Fest Delivered by DoorDash - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CBS Boston and New England Revolution Announce New Local Broadcast Partnership - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Signs Defender Alan Franco - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2021 MLS Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Shares Updated Health and Safety Protocols for 2021 Season - MLS
- Earthquakes Announce Wondo Way Street Name - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Sign Winger Kevin Cabral - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Returns to TXA 21 in 2021 - FC Dallas
- FC Cincinnati Acquire General Allocation Money, SuperDraft Selection from LA Galaxy - FC Cincinnati
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Corus Entertainment Announce Expansive Broadcast Partnership - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Inter Miami CF Appoints Xavier Asensi as Chief Business Officer - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Faces Real Esteli FC Tonight in 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Match - Columbus Crew SC
- "NYCFC - Home for the City" 2021 Season Preview Show Debuts Friday, April 9 - New York City FC
- A New Partnership between CF Montreal and GE Appliances Canada - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Shea, Gregore Prepared for D.C. After Three-Week Training Camp
- Inter Miami CF Hires Craig Dalrymple as Academy Director
- Neville Ahead of D.C.: "I Can Guarantee Attitude and CommitmentÃ¢ÂÂ
- Inter Miami CF Debuts New, Immersive Fan Video Engagement Experience
- Inter Miami CF Provides Schedule Update