IceRays win 4-1 over Bees
Another night and another big win for the Corpus Christi IceRays came on Saturday night at the American Bank Center. Jereme Tendler notched his second hat trick of the season and Kris Tebbs turned in another superb effort with 46 saves on 47 shots to lead the IceRays to a weekend sweep over the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees with a 4-1 win. The win was the fourth in the last five games against the Bees and improved Corpus Christi's record to 27-29-5 on the season.
The victory also moved the IceRays two points in front of the Arizona Sundogs with a game in hand and six points ahead of the New Mexico Scorpions who beat Arizona on Saturday. The IceRays magic number lowered to three points with Saturday's action. Corpus Christi will finish up their three-game home stand against the Laredo Bucks on Monday night at 7pm. It's the regular season home finale and a Spring Break Game, presented by Coca-Cola. Make your plans to see the IceRays before time runs out. For more information on the IceRays, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
After going scoreless for virtually the entire game on Friday night, both teams struck in the opening period on Saturday. The IceRays got on the board first when Chris Greene stripped a puck free and rushed into the offensive zone, finding Jereme Tendler on the doorstep and he redirected a puck past Wylie Rogers at 5:32. The Killer Bees answered at 14:14 when Jesse Bennefield tipped a shot from the top of the crease past Kris Tebbs just after a Bees power play expired. The teams went into the dressing room tied at one after one. The Bees outshot the IceRays 17-12 in the first.
Tendler struck again in the second, scoring the frame's only goal on a gorgeous shot from the bottom of the right circle. On a Corpus Christi power play at 4:33 Tendler took a rink wide pass and roofed a shot from a sharp angle to give the IceRays the lead at 2-1. The Bees had their chances in the second with another 17 shots to the Rays 9, but the IceRays took a one-goal lead into the final period.
The Rays put the game away in the third with a pair of early goals. Tendler completed his hat trick when he buried a loose puck from just outside the left edge of the crease at 3:42 to make it 3-1 Corpus Christi. Just over two minutes later, Justin Quenneville scored a rebound goal on the power play at 5:44 to make it 4-1. The IceRays penalty kill remained perfect down the stretch and Corpus Christi held on for the win.
Kris Tebbs (23-19-4) earned the wim making 46 saves on 47 shots. Wylie Rogers (17-10-3) suffered the loss making 21 saves on 25 shots. The IceRays power play went 2-7 and the Bees went 0-10 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot by the Killer Bees 47-25.
The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Monday night at 7pm to host the Laredo Bucks. It's the regular season home finale and a Spring Break Night, presented by Coca Cola. Don't miss your last chance to catch all the action before the season ends. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 14, 2009
- Rush drop another shootout loss - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Beat Gorillas in Historic Win - Colorado Eagles
- Sundogs Fall Two Points Back of Playoff Spot in 3-1 Loss to New Mexico - Arizona Sundogs
- Scorpions Win In Another Instant Classic Against Arizona - New Mexico Scorpions
- IceRays win 4-1 over Bees - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Gorillas struggle in 9-0 loss to Colorado - Amarillo Gorillas
- Circelli's Hat Trick Highlights Jacks' 7-3 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- RiverKings Closer To Division Title - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Fall to Odessa - Wichita Thunder
- Brahmas blanked by Bucks - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks, Martin Shutout Brahmas 2-0 - Laredo Bucks
- 'Bugs vs. Bees Tomorrow in Bossier - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Another Round of Mudbugs Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Look For Two Straight Tonight In Texas - Laredo Bucks
- Late Goal Helps Arizona Keep Pace for Final Playoff Spot - Arizona Sundogs
- Zultek's Late Game Heroics Lift Rush Past Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Late Goal Pushes Arizona To Victory Over Scorpions - New Mexico Scorpions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale