IceRays hold on for win over Killer Bees
In a season that's come down to the wire, it's fitting that the biggest game of the year followed suit. With just over five minutes in a tie game, R.G. Flath scored to help the Corpus Christi IceRays beat the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees 5-3 at the American Bank Center on Saturday. The win lowered the IceRays magic number to three points, or a single victory to clinch a playoff spot. Corpus Christi improved to 28-24-8, and have won five straight games again Rio Grande Valley. The win also snapped the Bees six-game point streak. The IceRays will finish their week on the road on Sunday afternoon in Bossier-Shreveport to visit the Mudbugs at 4:05pm. The game can be heard on the radio in South Texas on 1150AM. Call 814-PUCK. 814-7825 or visit goicerays.com for more information.
The IceRays and Killer Bees played a physical, high-energy first period. The only goal of the game was keeping in theme with that style. At 7:42, Adam Powell created a turnover with a hard forecheck to steal the puck in the right corner. He then found Rob Jarvis at the bottom circle for a far-side shot that beat Andy Franck past his blocker. The goal was Jarvis' first since December 11th and gave the Rays a 1-0 lead after one period. The IceRays outshot the Bees 15-9 in the frame.
The second period was a w
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2010
- Back and forth game ends in 5-4 loss to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Rush Win Wild One over Americans 5-4 - Rapid City Rush
- Mavs Edge Jackalopes, 4-3, In Home Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win, 5-1, in Final Home Game of Regular Season - Colorado Eagles
- Jacks Clinch Top Seed in Southern Conference - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays hold on for win over Killer Bees - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Outgun Mudbugs For Fourth Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Win To Move Ahead of Texas For Third - Laredo Bucks
- Arizona Closes Out 2009-10 Road Schedule with 5-3 Loss to Laredo - Arizona Sundogs
- Powerplay Carries 'Kings Past Mudbugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Brown shuts out Wichita - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Blanked by Gorillas - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings Battle Mudbugs Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Deleurme Joins 'Bugs For Stretch Run - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Brahmas Clinch Playoff Spot; Look Ahead To Big Game Sunday Afternoon - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Can Move Ahead Of Texas Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale