IceRays Fall To Bees 6-4
IceRays veteran Chad Woollard notched his 300th career goal with a two-goal night, but it wasn't enough to get Corpus Christi past a parade of Rio Grande Valley power play chances - including four two-man advantages - and a high flying Killer Bees attack, as the IceRays fell the Bees 6-4 at the American Bank Center on Friday night. The IceRays loss moved their winless skid to seven games and dropped their record to 8-13-4 this season. The IceRays and Killer Bees will travel to Hidalgo on Saturday to complete their home and home series, before the IceRays host the Mississippi RiverKings on Tuesday night at 7:05pm. It's Two-For-Tuesday at the American Bank Center. Buy a regular priced IceRays ticket and receive a second one absolutely FREE. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
Early in the hockey game, the IceRays penalty killers immediately had to go to work. Four calls in the first ten minutes went against Corpus Christi, yielding a pair of two-man advantages for the Bees. But the IceRays killed off all of them, and eventually took the first lead of the game, but it came at a price. At 8:34 a one-timer from Jason Tessier deflected off of Chad Woollard's face and into the net. Woollard was credited with the goal, but left the game and did not return for the remainder of the period. The Bees answered at 14:53 when Shaun Landolt redirected a shot from the point past Kevin Nastiuk to tie the score 1-1. The IceRays outshot the Bees 13-12 in the frame.
In the second period the IceRays reclaimed the lead at 2-1 when Justin Quenneville intercepted a Stacey Bauman outlet pass and moved in on Andy Franck, beating him with a glove side wrist shot for an unassisted goal at 14:00. However, the complexion of the game changed seconds later. At 14:32 the IceRays were whistled for three overlapping minor penalties, giving the Bees a full two-minute, five-on-three power play, followed by an additional power play. The Bees took immediate advantage with a goal at 15:18 from Joel Irving. The Bees remained on the two-man advantage following the goal, and it was their fourth five-on-three (three of them over one minute) of the first two periods. The IceRays penalty kill held the Bees off the board, but just seconds after the final penalty expired Jesse Bennefield scored from just outside the crease at 17:21 to give the Bees their first lead at 3-2. On the next shift, Aaron Lee scored from the slot to make it 4-2 Bees at 17:48. The IceRays got back on the board with a Woollard rebound goal at 19:06 to close the gap to 4-3. The goal was Woollard's 300th of his pro career.
The Bees started the third period on their tenth power play thanks to a second unsportsmanlike penalty at the end of the second period, and they capitalized quickly. Daymen Rycroft scored his first of two third period goals 54 seconds into the frame. He then tallied again at 6:26 on a slapshot from the top of the left circle. Corpus Christi's R.G. Flath scored at 17:33 to cap the scoring.
Kevin Nastiuk (4-7-2) took the loss making 33 saves on 39 shots while Andy Franck (7-6-3) earned the win stopping all 35 of 39 shots he faced. The IceRays power play went 0-4 and the Bees went 2-10. The IceRays and Bees each had 39 shots in the game.
The IceRays and Bees will travel to Hidalgo on Saturday to complete their home and home series, before the IceRays host the Mississippi RiverKings on Tuesday night at 7:05pm. It's Two-For-Tuesday at the American Bank Center. Buy a regular priced IceRays ticket and receive a second one absolutely FREE. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 18, 2009
- RiverKings Stop Rapid City Streak - Mississippi RiverKings
- IceRays Fall To Bees 6-4 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Roll Over Thunder 6-2 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Another one-goal bout not kind to Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mudbugs Beat Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Activate Potvin, Place Visser on 14-Day I.R. - Arizona Sundogs
- Celebrate Christmas With The 'Bugs This Sunday - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Continue Road Trip Saturday In Amarillo - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Unveil New Year's Eve Party Pack - Kansas City Mavericks
- AHL Goaltender Joins Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- RiverKings Host Rapid City Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Battaglia Activated From IR - Amarillo Gorillas
- Oilers-Amarillo Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- The Mudbugs Holiday Six-Pack Is Back - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- Killer Bees Game Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale