IceRays come back to stun Bees in shootout
Steve Later scored a power play goal in the final minutes to force overtime, and Ryan Bennett had the game winner in a shootout as the Corpus Christi IceRays slipped past the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees 3-2 on Saturday night at the State Farm Arena. The IceRays win marked their first win in a shootout this season, and the first time they overcame a second intermission deficit for a win. The IceRays improved to 25-22-7 on the season, and moved six points ahead of the Killer Bees for the final playoff spot in the Southern Conference. They also climbed within six points of the Texas Brahmas and Laredo Bucks who are tied for the number three spot in the Southern Conference. The IceRays will return to action on Thursday night at 7:05pm when they host the Texas Brahmas on College Night and Dollar Menu Night at the American Bank Center. College students will receive discounted tickets starting at just $5, and all fans can get $1 hot dogs, popcorn, and sodas at the game. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The only goal of the first period came on the first shot for Rio Grande Valley. At 2:07 of the period, the Killer Bees on a power play, Zak McClellan broke into the offensive zone at ripped a slapshot past Kevin Beech from the right circle to make it 1-0 Killer Bees. The score remained that way through the frame with the Bees and IceRays each posting eight shots.
The teams traded goals in the second as Rio Grande kept their one-goal lead. The Killer Bees made it 2-0 when Stacey Bauman scored on a slapshot from the blue line at 4:46. The IceRays got on the board, and within one, when Kyle Peto scored on a power play at 15:22 with a slapshot from the right circle. The IceRays outshot the Bees 11-8 in the period, but trailed heading into the third.
The IceRays peppered the Bees in the final period, but Wylie Rodgers stood tough. With time winding down, the IceRays pulled their goaltender on a power play and Steve Later scored on a one-timer from the left point at 18:27 to force OT. After a scoreless overtime, the IceRays went 2-5 in the shootout getting goals in the third round from Later, and fifth round from Bennett to clinch the victory. The Bees went 1-5 in their attempts with Topher Scott scoring to extend the game in the fifth round.
Kevin Beech (14-6-3) earned the win, making 22 saves on 24 shots. Wylie Rogers (8-8-3) took the OT loss making 34 saves on 36 shots. The IceRays power play went 2-7 and the Killer Bees went 1-5. The IceRays outshot the Bees 37-24 in the game.
The IceRays will return to action on Thursday night at 7:05pm when they host the Texas Brahmas on College Night and Dollar Menu Night at the American Bank Center. College students will receive discounted tickets starting at just $5, and all fans can get $1 hot dogs, popcorn, and sodas at the game. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 27, 2010
- Corpus Christi Ice Rays and the Knoxville Ice Bears on this week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- IceRays come back to stun Bees in shootout - Corpus Christi IceRays
- LeBlanc's Overtime Goal Clinches Rapid City's First Playoff Berth With 3-2 Victory Over Eagles - Rapid City Rush
- Aikins Gets 2nd Straight Game-Winner - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Brahmas host hockey double header Sunday at NYTEX - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas "no shows" in southern showdown, lose 5-1 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- LeBlanc Nets Another OT Winner Against Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Mavs Beat Thunder in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bucks Move Back To Third With Huge Win - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings earn weekend sweep - Mississippi RiverKings
- Amarillo stymied in Odessa - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mississippi power play outdoes shorthanded Americans 5-3 - Allen Americans
- Jackalopes win over Gorillas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Klempa Klutch, But Mavs' Win in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Invade Mid-South Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Host Showdown With Brahmas Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale