IceRays clip bucks 2-1
Goaltender Kevin Nastiuk anchored a perfect Corpus Christi IceRays penalty kill that went eight for eight in a 2-1 win over the rival Laredo Bucks on Saturday night from the American Bank Center. Nastiuk made 28 saves, and helped the Rays kill off eight penalties, including a full two minute, two-man advantage in the closing minutes. The win was the second for the IceRays over the Bucks in as many meetings, and improved the Rays season record to 7-7-2. The IceRays and Bucks conclude the weekend with a Sunday afternoon rematch from Laredo at 4:00pm. Fans can tune into the game on ESPN 1230AM, beginning at 3:45pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The Bucks got the only goal of the first period when Laredo's Darryl Smith intercepted a clearing attempt on the right boards and then teamed up with Igor Agarunov on a give and go, scoring at 4:56. The period showcased the bad blood between the clubs with several big hits and a fight between Corpus Christi's Rob Jarvis and Laredo's Justin Styffe. The Bucks outshot the IceRays 11-10.
The IceRays turned the tide early in the second period with a pair of quick goals. Ryan Garbutt tied the game at 1:45 with a goal from the left circle and then great passing set up Chad Costello with a goal from the bottom of the left circle at 5:07. The two goals in a 3:22 span stood as the only of the period and the IceRays took a 2-1 lead into the final frame. The IceRays outshot the Bucks 8-3 in the period.
The IceRays protected their lead in the final frame, turning aside all 15 Laredo shots in the period, including several quality chances on the late two-man advantage. With 2:47 left in the game, the IceRays got coinciding tripping and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties leading to the five-on-three advantage. But the Rays stood tall and killed off the chances and held on for the 2-1 win.
Kevin Nastiuk (3-2) made 28 saves on 29 shots earning the win, while Kyle Gajewski (1-3-1) took the loss stopping 30 of 32 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-6 and the Bucks went 0-8. The IceRays outshot the Bucks 32-29 in the game.
The IceRays and Bucks conclude the weekend with a Sunday afternoon rematch from Laredo at 4:00pm. Fans can tune into the game on ESPN 1230AM, beginning at 3:45pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 28, 2009
- Jacks Pick Up Shootout Win Over Killer Bees, 3-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Soar Past the Sundogs, 8-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Clayton Lifts Mudbugs to 3-2 Comeback Win Over Mavs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Point Earned In Shootout Across Town; McLeod Nets 3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mudbugs Come Back for 3-2 Win Over Mavericks - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceRays clip bucks 2-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Slip Up In Corpus, Fall 2-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Gorillas win, $4 tickets go on sale Monday - Amarillo Gorillas
- Gorillas Beat Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Powered By Three First Period Goals, Top RiverKings 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City Rushes By RiverKings For Sweep - Mississippi RiverKings
- Fritshaw The Hero As Rush Win 4-3 In Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Edge 'Dogs, 2-1, in Closely Contested Battle - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush Prevail Past RiverKings in Overtime - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale