IceRays Blast Sundogs 6-1
Jason Tessier had a pair of goals, Chris Richards had a four point night, and five different Corpus Christi IceRays scored as the IceRays beat the Arizona Sundogs 6-1 at the American Bank Center on Thursday night. Corpus Christi's win improved their record to an even 8-8-2 on the year, and 3-1 vs. Arizona. The IceRays will be in North Richland Hills to take on the Texas Brahmas on Friday, before returning to the American Bank Center to host the Allen Americans on Caller-Times Family Night.
The IceRays jumped out early in the hockey game and got the first goal at 3:39 when Rob Jarvis scored his first of the season on a wrist shot from the high slot. The Sundogs answered on a power play goal by Chris Bartolone at 7:59. But Corpus Christi responded with a pair of power play goal 1:46 apart to reclaim the lead. Chad Woollard made it 2-1 with a perfectly placed wrist shot into the top right corner from the bottom of the right circle at 13:53 on a four-on-three advantage. At 15:39 Chris Richards added a power play goal to make it 3-1. The IceRays outshot the Sundogs 17-10 in the first period.
The IceRays added to their lead in the second period as Morgan MacLean scored from the left circle on a rink-wide setup from Justin Quenneville at 4:26. The goal stood as the only of the period for either team. The Rays outshot the Sundogs 7-5 in the period.
Jason Tessier added a pair of goals for Corpus Christi in the final frame as tempers flared and combined for several fights and five player ejections. In spite of the physical subplot, the IceRays closed out the game for the 6-1 victory.
Kevin Nastiuk (4-3) made 27 saves on 28 shots earning the win. Kyle McNulty (0-5-1) suffered the loss stopping 20 of 25 shots. J.F. Perras entered the game in relief and turned aside 18 of 19 shots, not figuring into the decision. The IceRays power play went 2-10 and the Sundogs also went 1-7. The IceRays outshot the Sundogs 44-28 in the game.
The IceRays will be in North Richland Hills to take on the Texas Brahmas on Friday, before returning to the American Bank Center to host the Allen Americans on Caller-Times Family Night. Fans can get a family four-pack of tickets for just $34, courtesy of the Caller-Times. The first 600 fans at the game will receive free IceRays autograph books courtesy of the Coastal Community and Teachers Credit Union. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2009
- IceRays Blast Sundogs 6-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Penalties The Difference As Sundogs Fall 6-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Mid-South Snow Alert - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Vs. Gorillas, Teddy Bear Toss Tomorrow Night - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RGV's Bennefield Named Sher-Wood/TPS CHL Player Of The Month - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RGV's Jesse Bennefield Named Sher-Wood/TPS Central Hockey League Player of the Month - CHL
- New "Bucks Insider" Saturday On Fox 39 - Laredo Bucks
- Severson Leaves RiverKings Roster - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks' Levasseur Wins CHL Goaltender Of The Month - Laredo Bucks
- Laredo's Jean-Philippe Levasseur Named Sher-Wood/TPS CHL Goaltender Of The Month - CHL
- NYTEX Shares Season Spirit With Pucks, Cans And Bears - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Eighth In Latest Coaches Poll - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale