IceDogs Fall to Sting 6-5
The IceDogs returned home for a Sunday matinee against the Sting. Coming off a disappointing game in Barrie, the 'Dogs were looking to bounce back in front of a sold out home crowd against a team they'd only faced once before, a 4-3 win in Sarnia.
As to be expected with opponents who haven't faced each other often this season, the game got off to a fast paced start with both teams trying to feel out each other. Jack Studnicka got the 'Dogs on the board first, with a shorthanded marker. The Sting came back to score 3 goals to end the first and begin the second periods.
Shortly after Sarnia scored their 3rd of the game, Jason Robertson shot a weak goal on net. The puck trickled past the goaltender to bring the 'Dogs within one goal. Then, Jack Studnicka scored his 32nd goal of the year, and second of the game to tie the game up at 3 goals each! Robertson collected his 2nd point of the night with an assist on Studnicka's goal. Ivan Lodnia was credited with the secondary assist.
The Sting score two goals in the third period to gain a 5-3 lead. Kirill Maksimov scored with 2 minutes to play in the game. Maksimov's 38th of the season as assisted by Jason Robertson and Jack Studnicka. The Sting came back to score an empty net goal. Captain Ben Jones scored with 29 seconds left in the game to spur the comeback.
The comeback fell just short as the 'Dogs nearly scored with 20 seconds to go, but the Sting held on for the 6-5 win.
The 'Dogs are back in action at home Thursday evening as the Erie Otters come to town.
Join us Friday evening as we sport specialty jerseys as we take on the Sudbury Wolves for the final time the season. All game-worn jerseys will be auctioned live post-game, with the help of Luke's Auctions. Proceeds from the jersey auction will be donated to Pathsthone Mental Health.
Limited tickets remain for Thursday and Friday's game, and can be purchased online HERE, or in person at the following locations:
IceDogs Meridian Centre Offices 905-687-3641
Meridian Centre Box Office
Pen Centre Customer Service
Seaway Mall Customer Service
Images from this story
Niagara IceDogs goaltender Stephen Dhillon
(Vivid Eye Photography)
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 3, 2019
- Knights Clinch Midwest Division with Win in Erie - London Knights
- Prosvetov Records Fourth Career Shutout in Win over Petes - Saginaw Spirit
- Battalion Beats Sudbury - North Bay Battalion
- Otters Fall to Knights 3-1 at Home - Erie Otters
- Sting Take Hard-Fought Battle with IceDogs - Sarnia Sting
- Attack Comeback Falls Short vs. Greyhounds in 4-3 Defeat - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Shutout in Nation's Capital - Mississauga Steelheads
- 67's Blank Steelheads 3-0 to Win OHL's East Title - Ottawa 67's
- IceDogs Fall to Sting 6-5 - Niagara IceDogs
- Rangers Doubled-Up by the Storm, 8-4 - Kitchener Rangers
- Preview: Spirit Host Petes for First 'Opioid Awareness Night' - Saginaw Spirit
- Petes Continue Western Conference Road Trip with Third Straight Win - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.