Hustle Win Overtime Thriller at Landers Center
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle (21-17) earned a 122-119 overtime win over the Salt Lake City Stars (19-19) Wednesday night at Landers Center, erasing an 18-point second-half deficit and pushing its cushion on sixth place in the Western Conference to two games.
Memphis trailed 100-85 with 7:46 left in the game before going on a 23-5 run over the next 4:57 to take its first lead since early in the second quarter. With the Hustle trailing by eight (105-97) with 4:16 remaining, Markel Crawford scored eight consecutive points on Memphis' next three possessions to tie the game before two-way player Julian Washburn knocked in a three of his own to obtain the lead. The Hustle would eventually lead 111-107 at the 1:46 mark, but the Stars held Memphis scoreless the rest of the way to force overtime.
Yuta Watanabe started overtime off with a three-pointer to regain the lead for Memphis. Tarik Phillip and Dusty Hannahs hit a couple of clutch baskets in the two-minute period to keep Salt Lake City at bay. After a Crawford free throw put Memphis up 122-119 with 2.9 seconds left, Naz Mitrou-Long's three-point attempt at the buzzer fell short and the Hustle sealed the win.
Salt Lake City kept the game tight early, despite Memphis shooting 60.0 percent (12-20 FG) from the field, by forcing eight Hustle turnovers in the opening frame. The Hustle made its first nine shots from inside the arc, but couldn't take care of the ball enough to build a substantial lead.
The Stars continued their defensive intensity in the second quarter, Memphis finished the first half with 17 turnovers, and started shooting at a higher clip which resulted in a 61-57 halftime lead for Salt Lake City. The Stars shot 59.1 percent (13-22 FG) in the second quarter after shooting just 38.5 percent (10-26 FG) in the first.
The visitors built an 18-point lead in the third quarter before the Hustle turned things around and won the fourth by a total of 33-19. Memphis took better care of the ball after halftime. Salt Lake City scored 25 points off Memphis turnovers in the first half, but only managed four points off turnovers in the second half and overtime.
Hannahs led the team in scoring off the bench with 25 points (8-14 FG) to go with with four assists. Washburn had his best performance thus far in a Hustle uniform, scoring 18 points on 7-of-9 shooting and adding five boards, four assists and two steals. Crawford added 17 points off the bench to go with six rebounds. Tarik Phillip and Tyler Harvey scored 15 apiece, with Phillip adding 10 rebounds, seven assists and three steals to his line. Yuta Watanabe had a solid night, finishing with 14 points (3-4 3P) to go with four rebounds, four assists and two steals.
Jazz two-way player Tyler Cavanaugh led the way with 25 points and a game-high 15 rebounds for the Stars. Stephaun Branch added 19 points and eight boards. Two-way player Mitrou-Long and Jairus Lyles posted 17 points each for Salt Lake City.
The Hustle face the Long Island Nets in a Sunday matinee at 2 p.m. CT at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The team returns to Landers Center on Tuesday, February 26 at 7 p.m. to take on Western Conference contender Rio Grande Valley Vipers in the third installment of Dog Days of Winter. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 20, 2019
- Legends' Fourth Quarter Push Falls Short in Iowa - Texas Legends
- Hustle Win Overtime Thriller at Landers Center - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Falls to Suns in Northern Arizona - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats Squish Mad Ants Behind Season-High 140 Points - Delaware Blue Coats
- House Jr. Buzzer Beater Gives Vipers Win against OKC in Overtime - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Lakeland Magic Defeat Capital City Go-Go 120-109 - Lakeland Magic
- 905 Survive Late Charge from Herd - Raptors 905
- Fast Start Carries Wolves to Sixth Straight Home Win - Iowa Wolves
- Balanced Effort Gets Knicks over the Hump, 109-91 - Westchester Knicks
- Gray, Johnson Score 28 Each as Mad Ants Fall in Delaware - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Deng: Charge Defeat Swarm on Adel's Late Heroics - Canton Charge
- Drive Rout BayHawks on Record-Breaking Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Stockton Kings Add Theophilis Johnson and Julien Lewis to Roster - Stockton Kings
- Strong 4th Lifts Knicks Past Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- De'Anthony Melton Assigned to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Horn Lake Football Team Recognized as Memphis Hustle High School Athletes of the Month - Memphis Hustle
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Jaylen Adams to Multi-Year Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Stockton Kings Aquire Player Rights to Brandon Ashley - Stockton Kings
- Legends Acquire 2019 1st Round Draft Pick - Texas Legends
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Nate Hickman - Westchester Knicks
- Windy City Missed the Bell on Education Day, Fall 111-107 to Agua Caliente - Windy City Bulls
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Nate Hickman - Westchester Knicks
- Kings Assign Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Wednesday Career Fair Rescheduled for March 4 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Heat Signs Emanuel Terry to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Jordan Sibert to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Long Island Nets Acquire Returning Player Rights to Will Davis II in Trade with Capital City - Long Island Nets
- Travis Trice Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying February Team - Austin Spurs
- USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Team Announced - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Win Fourth Straight Game to Bolster Playoff Chances
- Crawford Leads Hustle Past Oklahoma City for Third Straight Win
- Hustle Fight off Surge from Sioux Falls, Earn Another Big Win
- Hustle Take Down First Place Warriors for Crucial Victory
- Hustle Drop Second Game of Back-To-Back to Salt Lake City