Howard, BlueClaws Open Series at Charleston 2-1 Winners
CHARLESTON, SC - Spencer Howard threw six scoreless innings as the BlueClaws opened a series at Charleston with a 2-1 win over the RiverDogs on Tuesday night at Riley Park.
Connor Brogdon followed Howard with two scoreless innings and Zach Warren got the last three outs for his 10th save. Warren gave up a two-out, RBI double to Welfrin Mateo to break the shutout, but got Leonardo Molina to ground out to second base to end the game.
Lakewood (30-14/71-42) won for the 20th time in their last 26 games and remains four games in front of second place Hickory in the SAL North. They are also 4-0 against Charleston (19-24/52-59) this season.
Howard (7-7) gave up four hits and two walks over his six scoreless innings, while adding in six strikeouts as he earned his seventh win of the season.
The BlueClaws opened the scoring in the top of the sixth inning with two outs as Jake Scheinertripled off the left field wall to bring home Dalton Guthrie with the game's first run. Rodolfo Duranfollowed with an RBI double to give the BlueClaws a 2-0 lead.
Guthrie, who went 4-4, picked up his first career four-hit game and the fifth by a BlueClaws player this year.
RiverDogs starter Nolan Martinez (0-1) gave up two runs over six innings in his first Charleston start. Dalton Higgins threw three scoreless innings in relief.
The teams continue their series on Wednesday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Damon Jones (7-5, 3.63) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Miguel Yajure (3-2, 3.48).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Spencer Howard
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 7, 2018
- Fireflies Claim Series Opener over Drive on Tuesday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Zap Power in Storm-Shortened Game - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Drive Defeated by Fireflies on Tuesday Night - Greenville Drive
- Martinez Dazzles in RiverDogs Debut, Suffers Loss to Lakewood - Charleston RiverDogs
- Five-Run First Inning Buries Power in Rain-Shortened Loss - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Lambast Braves in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Seven Run Fourth Inning Leads Delmarva to Win, 11-3 - Rome Braves
- Phillips K's 13 as 'Dads Shutout Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Howard, BlueClaws Open Series at Charleston 2-1 Winners - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Doesn't Bring the Sun - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 7 vs. Greenville (Game 110) - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Name 2018 Hall of Fame Inductee - Augusta GreenJackets
- Preview: Hoppers Back at Home - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 7) - West Virginia Power
- Former Third-Round Selection Martinez Joins RiverDogs from Staten Island - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (August 7-13) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Garcia Fans 11 But Claws Drop Opener to Lexington
- Balanced Attack Gives BlueClaws Fifth Straight Win as Claws Topple Rome
- Walk-Off Claws Win Again, 5-4 over Rome on Thursday
- Maton's Grand Slam Keys BlueClaws 7-2 Wednesday Win
- Garcia, Two Relievers Combine on BlueClaws 23rd Shutout of Season