Phillips K's 13 as 'Dads Shutout Kannapolis
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads shutout the Kannapolis Intimidators 3-0 on Tuesday night in the series opener. The 'Dads have won their last four games at the Frans after sweeping Charleston last week.
Tyreque Reed got the 'Dads on the board with a solo homerun to left field in the fourth inning. The homerun was his twelfth of the season.
Matt Whatley extended the 'Dads lead to two runs with a homerun down the left field line in just his second at bat as a Crawdad.
Tyler Phillips was dominant on the mound for the Crawdads. Phillips pitched seven innings, racking up thirteen strikeouts. In the seventh, the first two batters reached second and third, but Phillips struck out the next three batters to strand the runners and escape the inning unscathed. He allowed six hits and walked none. Phillips' 2.92 ERA is tied for sixth best in the league, while his nine wins is tied for second best.
In the bottom of the seventh, Pedro Gonzalez hit the 'Dads third homerun of the night to put them ahead 3-0.
Josh Advocate pitched the game's final two innings, to earn his fifth save of the season. The win gives the 'Dads a 9-8 edge in the Battle of the Backroads season series against the Intimidators.
The 'Dads and Intimidators will square off again tomorrow night in a double header starting at 5pm. It will be the 'Dads first ever Purr in the Park and cats are encouraged to come out to the Frans. All cats must be on a leash or in a kennel.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 7, 2018
- Fireflies Claim Series Opener over Drive on Tuesday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Zap Power in Storm-Shortened Game - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Drive Defeated by Fireflies on Tuesday Night - Greenville Drive
- Martinez Dazzles in RiverDogs Debut, Suffers Loss to Lakewood - Charleston RiverDogs
- Five-Run First Inning Buries Power in Rain-Shortened Loss - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Lambast Braves in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Seven Run Fourth Inning Leads Delmarva to Win, 11-3 - Rome Braves
- Phillips K's 13 as 'Dads Shutout Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Howard, BlueClaws Open Series at Charleston 2-1 Winners - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Doesn't Bring the Sun - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 7 vs. Greenville (Game 110) - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Name 2018 Hall of Fame Inductee - Augusta GreenJackets
- Preview: Hoppers Back at Home - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 7) - West Virginia Power
- Former Third-Round Selection Martinez Joins RiverDogs from Staten Island - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (August 7-13) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.