Martinez Dazzles in RiverDogs Debut, Suffers Loss to Lakewood
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Former third-round selection Nolan Martinez dealt six innings with two runs allowed in his Charleston RiverDogs debut, but the 20-year-old took the loss in a 2-1 defeat to the Lakewood BlueClaws in front of 2,972 Riley Park faithful on Tuesday night.
Martinez (0-1) faced the minimum through his first four innings before Lakewood (71-42, 30-14) scored a pair in the sixth on back-to-back, two-out extra-base hits from third baseman Jake Scheiner and catcher Rodolfo Duran. The right-hander collected four strikeouts, including punching out the side in the second.
The California native made eight appearances (five starts) with Short Season-A Staten Island before getting promoted to Charleston (52-60, 19-24), pitching to a 4-0 record and a 1.23 ERA in 36 2/3 innings. Martinez was named the New York-Penn League Pitcher of the Week for his five perfect innings with seven strikeouts in his final Staten Island appearance on August 2.
Infielder David Metzgar finished 3-for-4 in his first game with the RiverDogs since May 15. The non-drafted free agent signee collected hits in his first three plate appearances but never advanced to scoring position as Lakewood starter Spencer Howard (7-7) stymied Charleston's offense with six shutout frames.
The Dogs got their lone run in the bottom of the ninth when second baseman Welfrin Mateo ripped a double to the left center field gap off Zach Warren to plate left fielder Carlos Vidal. With the tying run in scoring position, Leonardo Molina grounded out to end the ballgame. The run helped Charleston avoid their ninth shutout defeat of the season and prevented the BlueClaws from collecting a league-leading 22nd shutout victory.
The one-run defeat marked the RiverDogs' 48th one run game, the most in the South Atlantic League and contests which they have gone 20-28 in. Lakewood improved to 24-15 (.615) in one-run differentials, giving them the league's best winning percentage in such games.
Tuesday was another "Live and Local Tuesday" down at The Joe. There was a farmer's market on the concourse, local music, a restaurant pop-up, and the voice of Charleston's first poet laureate, Marcus Amaker, was heard throughout the night as he took over PA announcing duties.
The RiverDogs will kick it back to the inaugural 1994 season on a "Way Back Wednesday" presented by Kirkman Broadcasting where RiverDogs right-hander Miguel Yajure (3-2, 3.48) will battle Lakewood southpaw Damon Jones (7-5, 3.63). The Dogs will don the teal and purple uniforms with $4 ticket options available, and the first 1,000 fans through the turnstiles will receive a RiverDogs Alex Rodriguez bobblehead, commemorating the three-time MVP's rehab assignment to the lowcountry in 2013. "The Big Talker" WTMA 1250 AM and streaming live at riverdogs.com and the RiverDogs' TuneIn radio station.
RiverDogs single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are available for the remainder of the 2018 campaign, the club's 25th season as the RiverDogs and their "175th season in dog years." Ticket information can be secured by contacting the box office at (843) 577-DOGS (3647) or online at www.riverdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 7, 2018
- Fireflies Claim Series Opener over Drive on Tuesday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Zap Power in Storm-Shortened Game - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Drive Defeated by Fireflies on Tuesday Night - Greenville Drive
- Martinez Dazzles in RiverDogs Debut, Suffers Loss to Lakewood - Charleston RiverDogs
- Five-Run First Inning Buries Power in Rain-Shortened Loss - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Lambast Braves in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Seven Run Fourth Inning Leads Delmarva to Win, 11-3 - Rome Braves
- Phillips K's 13 as 'Dads Shutout Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Howard, BlueClaws Open Series at Charleston 2-1 Winners - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Doesn't Bring the Sun - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 7 vs. Greenville (Game 110) - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Name 2018 Hall of Fame Inductee - Augusta GreenJackets
- Preview: Hoppers Back at Home - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 7) - West Virginia Power
- Former Third-Round Selection Martinez Joins RiverDogs from Staten Island - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (August 7-13) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Host 14th Annual Charity Golf Tournament
- RiverDogs Announce Valentine's Day Packages
- Mosquera Returns as RiverDogs Manager in 2019
- RiverDogs Seeking to Fill More Than 200 Gameday Positions at Upcoming Job Fairs
- Smoak, Singleton & Veeck to Join Johnny Damon at RiverDogs Hot Stove Banquet