Former Third-Round Selection Martinez Joins RiverDogs from Staten Island
CHARLESTON, SC - Right-handed pitcher Nolan Martinez, the New York Yankees' 2016 third-round draft selection, will make his Charleston RiverDogs debut against the South Atlantic League's Northern Division leading Lakewood BlueClaws on Tuesday night at 7:05 at Joe Riley Park.
Martinez was added to the RiverDogs' roster on Monday along with infielder David Metzgar and pitcher Alexander Vargas, who returns after making a spot start in Double-A Trenton. The 20-year-old Martinez made his first eight appearances (five starts) of the season at Short Season-A Staten Island, where he pitched to a 4-0 record and a 1.23 ERA. He was named the New York-Penn League "Pitcher of the Week" after tossing five no-hit innings on Thursday.
The Culver City, California native made his professional debut in 2016 in the Gulf Coast League. He pitched just seven innings, surrendering three runs and going 0-1. In his sophomore effort, the righty allowed an earned run and struck out 14 over 13 2/3 innings between the GCL and Rookie-level Pulaski.
Martinez was listed on the RiverDogs' disabled list for the first two months of the season before being assigned to Staten Island on June 15. After a rocky first start where he gave up four earned runs in 4 2/3 innings, the then 19-year-old allowed one earned run over his final 32 innings in the New York-Penn League.
Martinez will start the series opener of a three-game set against Lakewood on Tuesday. The BlueClaws won the Northern Division first-half title and hold a four-game lead over the rest of the division in the second-half with under 30 games left in the regular season. This series is the only time that the Philadelphia Phillies Class-A affiliate will travel to The Joe this season, but they swept the Dogs in a three-game tilt at FirstEnergy Park in May.
Vargas rejoined the team after his second start of the season with Trenton. The 21-year-old logged a no-decision for his 3 2/3 innings where he surrendered a pair of runs against Hartford. Infielder David Metzgar last played in Rookie-level Pulaski but was on Charleston's Opening Day roster and played 21 games with the RiverDogs before being reassigned to Extended Spring Training on May 17. Infielder Ricky Surum was promoted to Tampa to open the roster spot for Metzgar.
RiverDogs single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are available for the remainder of the 2018 campaign, the club's 25th season as the RiverDogs and their "175th season in dog years." Ticket information can be secured by contacting the box office at (843) 577-DOGS (3647) or online at www.riverdogs.com/tickets.
Images from this story
Pitcher Nolan Martinez
(Bryan Greene, Pinstriped Prospects)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 7, 2018
- Fireflies Claim Series Opener over Drive on Tuesday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Zap Power in Storm-Shortened Game - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Drive Defeated by Fireflies on Tuesday Night - Greenville Drive
- Martinez Dazzles in RiverDogs Debut, Suffers Loss to Lakewood - Charleston RiverDogs
- Five-Run First Inning Buries Power in Rain-Shortened Loss - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Lambast Braves in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Seven Run Fourth Inning Leads Delmarva to Win, 11-3 - Rome Braves
- Phillips K's 13 as 'Dads Shutout Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Howard, BlueClaws Open Series at Charleston 2-1 Winners - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Doesn't Bring the Sun - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 7 vs. Greenville (Game 110) - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Name 2018 Hall of Fame Inductee - Augusta GreenJackets
- Preview: Hoppers Back at Home - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 7) - West Virginia Power
- Former Third-Round Selection Martinez Joins RiverDogs from Staten Island - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (August 7-13) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Recognized with South Atlantic League Club Merit Award
- Seeing Double, RiverDogs' Contreras and Torrealba Honored as SAL Pitcher & Player of the Week
- Contreras Dominates as Dogs Rout Drive in Fourth Straight Win
- RiverDogs Cancel Season Finale Amidst Hurricane Dorian Evacuation Order
- Relentless RiverDogs Crank 14 Hits to Down Drive