Hounds Stumble in Loss to Naturals
A duo of "prodigal RockHounds" led Northwest Arkansas to a 3-2 win over their former club Tuesday night at Security Bank Ballpark.
Dairon Blanco and Kevin Merrell ignited a three-run third inning as the Naturals erased a 2-0 deficit. Blanco led the inning off with a walk, Merrell followed with a single, and both came around to score. Nate Esposito had what would become the game-winning hit, capping the rally with a two-run single (the game was scoreless over the last six innings).
The RockHounds broke out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Chase Calabuig led off with a walk and Edwin Diaz drove a two-out RBI double to the wall in the right center. After Dan Gamache drew a walk, Tyler Ramirez singled down the left field line, scoring Diaz.
The RockHounds' runs came against Brady Singer, the Kansas City Royals' # 2 prospect (per MLB.com) but the right-hander settled in and, despite issuing five walks, didn't allow another run (and only two more hits) over 5? innings to earn the win. Tyler Zuber shut down a RockHounds threat in the eighth (two on with one out) getting a pair of strikeouts and followed with a 1-2-3 ninth inning for the save.
The Texas League South Division
Tuesday's games opened the final two weeks of the Texas League season, all of it cross-division play (14 games).
The Drillers edged Amarillo, 4-3, in Tulsa ... Frisco shut out Springfield, 5-0, in the Metroplex ... and Corpus Christi defeated Arkansas, 4-3, in North Little Rock. The Sod Poodles' lead in the South Division second half race is now down to three games over Corpus ... 3½ over Frisco and four over the RockHounds.
The wild card standings remain absolutely crazy. Through 126 games (125 for Frisco), the RockHounds and Corpus Christi are tied (62-64) with Frisco a half-game back (61-64).
Edwin Diaz has hit in six straight games (8-23, .348) with three doubles, three home runs and fourteen (14) runs batted in.
In his last seven games, Mikey White 10-for-33 (.303) with a double, three home runs and ten (10) RBI.
Wednesday, August 21 vs. NW Arkansas Naturals
Security Bank Ballpark 6:30 p.m. (Gates open 6:00)
Copa Night / Matamoscas de Midessa!
Fedora Hats for the first 700 fans
- Second of a three-game series and of a six-game homestand
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 6:15 p.m.
NWA: Gerson Garabito (RH, 6-9, 4.09)
RH: Grant Holmes (RH, 5-4, 3.48)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 20, 2019
- CC Edges Arkansas in Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Frisco Rides to Series-Opening Win on Tuesday - Springfield Cardinals
- Corpus Christi Take Series Opener - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Take Sole Possession of First Place with Win over Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Hounds Stumble in Loss to Naturals - Midland RockHounds
- Soddies Fall to Begin Trip - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Naturals Claim Opener with 3-2 Win over 'Hounds - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Phillips, Rehabbers Lead Riders to Shutout Win - Frisco RoughRiders
- Edinson Volquez Scheduled to Rehab with Riders Tonight - Frisco RoughRiders
- Brand New Interlocking "SGF" Flag Flexfit Cap Theme Ticket Now Available - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.