Hounds Stumble in Loss to Naturals
A duo of "prodigal RockHounds" led Northwest Arkansas to a 3-2 win over their former club Tuesday night at Security Bank Ballpark.
Dairon Blanco and Kevin Merrell ignited a three-run third inning as the Naturals erased a 2-0 deficit. Blanco led the inning off with a walk, Merrell followed with a single, and both came around to score. Nate Esposito had what would become the game-winning hit, capping the rally with a two-run single (the game was scoreless over the last six innings).
The RockHounds broke out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Chase Calabuig led off with a walk and Edwin Diaz drove a two-out RBI double to the wall in the right center. After Dan Gamache drew a walk, Tyler Ramirez singled down the left field line, scoring Diaz.
The RockHounds' runs came against Brady Singer, the Kansas City Royals' # 2 prospect (per MLB.com) but the right-hander settled in and, despite issuing five walks, didn't allow another run (and only two more hits) over 5? innings to earn the win. Tyler Zuber shut down a RockHounds threat in the eighth (two on with one out) getting a pair of strikeouts and followed with a 1-2-3 ninth inning for the save.
The Texas League South Division
Tuesday's games opened the final two weeks of the Texas League season, all of it cross-division play (14 games).
The Drillers edged Amarillo, 4-3, in Tulsa ... Frisco shut out Springfield, 5-0, in the Metroplex ... and Corpus Christi defeated Arkansas, 4-3, in North Little Rock. The Sod Poodles' lead in the South Division second half race is now down to three games over Corpus ... 3½ over Frisco and four over the RockHounds.
The wild card standings remain absolutely crazy. Through 126 games (125 for Frisco), the RockHounds and Corpus Christi are tied (62-64) with Frisco a half-game back (61-64).
Edwin Diaz has hit in six straight games (8-23, .348) with three doubles, three home runs and fourteen (14) runs batted in.
In his last seven games, Mikey White 10-for-33 (.303) with a double, three home runs and ten (10) RBI.
Wednesday, August 21 vs. NW Arkansas Naturals
Security Bank Ballpark 6:30 p.m. (Gates open 6:00)
Copa Night / Matamoscas de Midessa!
Fedora Hats for the first 700 fans
- Second of a three-game series and of a six-game homestand
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 6:15 p.m.
NWA: Gerson Garabito (RH, 6-9, 4.09)
RH: Grant Holmes (RH, 5-4, 3.48)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 20, 2019
- CC Edges Arkansas in Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Frisco Rides to Series-Opening Win on Tuesday - Springfield Cardinals
- Corpus Christi Take Series Opener - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Take Sole Possession of First Place with Win over Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Hounds Stumble in Loss to Naturals - Midland RockHounds
- Soddies Fall to Begin Trip - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Naturals Claim Opener with 3-2 Win over 'Hounds - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Phillips, Rehabbers Lead Riders to Shutout Win - Frisco RoughRiders
- Edinson Volquez Scheduled to Rehab with Riders Tonight - Frisco RoughRiders
- Brand New Interlocking "SGF" Flag Flexfit Cap Theme Ticket Now Available - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Midland RockHounds Stories
- Luzardo Electric in Scoreless 1st Start
- MLB Officially Announces Cancellation of 2020 Minor League Season
- Update for All USA Softball Ticket PurchasersÃÂ
- USA Softball Postpones "Stand Beside Her Tour" Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Update on Midland RockHounds 2020 Season