Hounds Sign Defender Skylar Thomas, Goalkeeper Danny Vitiello
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC has signed defender Skylar Thomas and goalkeeper Danny Vitiello each to a one-year contract with a club option for the 2021 season, pending USSF and USL Championship approval.
Both Thomas and Vitiello have trialed with the team since the opening of camp at the beginning of February.
Thomas comes to Pittsburgh after playing one season for Valour FC of the Canadian Premier League. He started 21 of his 22 appearances with the club.
"Skylar is an experienced defender in our league," head coach Bob Lilley said. "He is exceptional in the air and a very strong 1-v-1 defender who we are excited to bring on to our team."
Before playing in Canada in 2019, Thomas played four seasons at the USL Championship level. From 2017-18, he suited up for the Charleston Battery, making 48 appearances for the club over two seasons. He made an additional 47 appearances for Toronto FC II from 2015-16. The center back holds 95 games played and five goals for his USL Championship career.
A product of Syracuse University, he was drafted by Toronto FC with the No. 11 overall pick in the first round of the 2015 MLS SuperDraft. He did not make an MLS appearance, as he signed a contract with affiliate Toronto FC II.
The Scarborough, Ontario, Canada native also has five caps (five starts) and one goal for the U-23 Canada National Team, which occurred during 2015 Olympic qualifying.
Meanwhile, Vitiello spent the 2019 season, his rookie campaign, with Nashville SC. The goalkeeper did not appear in a match with Nashville.
"Danny is a young goalkeeper with good habits and a bright future," Lilley said. "He is a very capable shot-stopper who also has a good ability to play out of the back with his feet."
From 2014-18, the Massapequa, New York native competed for the University at Albany. After redshirting his freshman season, he made at least 10 appearances in his remaining four years. He saw much of his success during his junior campaign, when he posted 10 clean sheets and a .879 save percentage in 15 games played en route to a 0.50 goals-against average.
Vitiello completed his collegiate career at Albany with 60 games played, 0.98 goals-against average, .784 save percentage and 24 shutouts.
Riverhounds SC now has 17 players under contract for the 2020 season.
Roster breakdown for 2020 season:
Forwards (4): Steevan Dos Santos, Lukas Fernandes, Mark Forrest, Ropapa Mensah
Midfielders (4): Kenardo Forbes, Robbie Mertz, Dani Rovira, Anthony Velarde
Defenders (7): Xhelil Asani, Jordan Dover, Ryan James, Mark Lindstrom, Skylar Thomas, Thomas Vancaeyezeele, Tony Walls
Goalkeepers (2): Anthony Mwembia, Danny Vitiello
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 25, 2020
- FC Tulsa Defeats Defending USL League One Champions North Texas SC 3-1 in Preseason Match - FC Tulsa
- Louisville City Beats Forward Madison 4-0 - Louisville City FC
- 20 Questions with Harry Swartz - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Brandon Williamson, Re-Sign Defender Allexon Saravia - Loudoun United FC
- Preseason: Week 4 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosting Forward Madison in Preseason Tune-Up - Louisville City FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Extends Loan for Josue Aaron Gomez - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Orange County SC Signs Former La Galaxy Defender Nathan Smith - Orange County SC
- Louisville City Signs Wes Charpie - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Sign Defender Skylar Thomas, Goalkeeper Danny Vitiello - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preseason Update: Athletic Split Home-And-Home with Revs II - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.