Orange County SC Signs Former La Galaxy Defender Nathan Smith
IRVINE, Calif. - Orange County SC announced today the signing of defender Nathan Smith pending league and federation approval. Smith spent the 2019 season with the Timbers 2 in the USL Championship.
"I'm very happy that Nathan is joining us for the 2020 season," said OCSC Head Coach, Braeden Cloutier. "He is a player that can equally play on either side of the field. His versatility will be a huge asset for our team this season."
Smith 24, played youth soccer in the LA Galaxy Youth Academy and attended UCLA from 2013-2015 where he earned Honorable All-Pac-12 honors in his sophomore and junior seasons. In 2016 he joined the LA Galaxy II in the USL Championship and in 2017 he split time between the LA Galaxy in the MLS and Galaxy II where the made 12 appearances and 9 starts in MLS league play. Smith spent 2018 and 2019 with the Portland Timbers 2.
"I'm grateful to be joining a prestigious club with such a talented group of guys," said Nathan Smith. "I look forward to be playing again in front of my family and the fans in SoCal."
Smith has over 20 appearances with the U.S. U-20 National Team. In 2011 he competed in the FIFA U-17 World Cup and later helped the team to the 2011 U-17 CONCACAF Championship, where he scored the game-winning goal in the final against Canada.
"We are delighted to add Nathan, a first-class professional to our roster," said Oliver Wyss President of Soccer Operations. "He is an experienced player and will be a great addition to our backline."
Smith is eligible to make his OCSC debut when the club opens the season at home on Friday, March, 6th. Per club policy, terms of player contracts with Orange County SC will not be released.
TRANSACTION: Orange County SC signs defender Nathan Smith February 2020.
Weight: 160 lbs
Born: October 18, 1994
Birthplace: Clovis, CA
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 25, 2020
- FC Tulsa Defeats Defending USL League One Champions North Texas SC 3-1 in Preseason Match - FC Tulsa
- Louisville City Beats Forward Madison 4-0 - Louisville City FC
- 20 Questions with Harry Swartz - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Brandon Williamson, Re-Sign Defender Allexon Saravia - Loudoun United FC
- Preseason: Week 4 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosting Forward Madison in Preseason Tune-Up - Louisville City FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Extends Loan for Josue Aaron Gomez - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Orange County SC Signs Former La Galaxy Defender Nathan Smith - Orange County SC
- Louisville City Signs Wes Charpie - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Sign Defender Skylar Thomas, Goalkeeper Danny Vitiello - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preseason Update: Athletic Split Home-And-Home with Revs II - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- USL Academy Team Adds New Layer to OC Pathway
- OCSC Signs Chris Wehan
- OCSC Announces New Youth Soccer Network as Part of Pathway to Pro in OC
- USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southwest Division Members
- Orange County SC Transfers Keeper Aaron Cervantes to Glasgow Rangers FC