FC Tulsa Defeats Defending USL League One Champions North Texas SC 3-1 in Preseason Match
FRISCO, Texas - Three unanswered goals from FC Tulsa forwards were more than enough to overcome an early deficit and earn a 3-1 victory on the road in Frisco, Texas on Tuesday afternoon over North Texas SC. The win kept FC Tulsa unbeaten through five preseason matches (3W-0L-2D) with just one more friendly left on the preseason schedule before the USL Championship regular season.
Forwards Panin Boakye, Marlon Santos and Mfon Udoh all found the net for Tulsa in the comeback victory over the defending USL League One Champions.
Attached is a brief postmatch quotesheet featuring quotes from FC Tulsa head coach Michael Nsien and forwards Boakye and Udoh.
16' NTX - Dante Sealy (unassisted)
23' TUL - Panin Boakye (unassisted)
34' TUL - Marlon Santos (assisted by Panin Boakye)
73' TUL - Mfon Udoh (assisted by Rodrigo da Costa)
BOAKYE'S BIG DAY
Forward Panin Boakye, a returner from FC Tulsa's 2019 team, got his first goal and first assist for the club. After making eight appearances last season with the Roughnecks without a goal or assist, Boakye accomplished both on Tuesday to lead the team to victory.
MARLON SCORES MATCH WINNER
FC Tulsa's most productive player in the final 10 matches of the 2019 season got his first goal of 2020 with a header to give Tulsa a lead it wouldn't relinquish. With five goals and three assists in just nine appearances at the end of the 2019 season, Marlon burst onto the scene in Tulsa and earned a multiyear contract extension in the offseason. The Brazilian now has a goal in 2020 to his name, and a match-winner at that.
UDOH SCORES IN AMERICA
Nigeria's top domestic scorer of all-time bagged his first goal on American scorer as Mfon Udoh sealed the victory for FC Tulsa. As a goal scoring record holder in the Nigerian Professional Football League, it didn't take long for Udoh to score his first for FC Tulsa. Despite being a late arrival to preseason, camp, Udoh has already shown flashes of his scoring prowess and scored his first for Tulsa after a centering cross from Rodrigo da Costa.
FC Tulsa will play its final preseason friendly in 2020 at home at Titan Sports Complex on Saturday, February 29 at 1 p.m. against Sporting Kansas City II, formerly Swope Park Rangers of the USL Championship Eastern Conference. Sporting KC II will be the second USL Championship opponent for FC Tulsa this preseason after drawing Saint Louis FC 1-1 earlier in February.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 25, 2020
- FC Tulsa Defeats Defending USL League One Champions North Texas SC 3-1 in Preseason Match - FC Tulsa
- Louisville City Beats Forward Madison 4-0 - Louisville City FC
- 20 Questions with Harry Swartz - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Brandon Williamson, Re-Sign Defender Allexon Saravia - Loudoun United
- Preseason: Week 4 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosting Forward Madison in Preseason Tune-Up - Louisville City FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Extends Loan for Josue Aaron Gomez - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Orange County SC Signs Former La Galaxy Defender Nathan Smith - Orange County SC
- Louisville City Signs Wes Charpie - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Sign Defender Skylar Thomas, Goalkeeper Danny Vitiello - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preseason Update: Athletic Split Home-And-Home with Revs II - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Tulsa Stories
- FC Tulsa to Return to Training Pitch on Monday, Begin Small Group Sessions
- USL Championship Exploring Options to Return to Action as Suspension Is Extended
- FC Tulsa Falls to Group 8 Favorites Birmingham Legion FC
- FC Tulsa Routs Memphis 901 FC in Rocket League Group Stage Opener
- FC Tulsa USL eCUP Matches to Air on ESPN Digital Platforms