Louisville City Signs Wes Charpie
HERRIMAN, UTAH - Louisville City Football Club announced the signing of defender Wes Charpie on Tuesday. Charpie joined Louisville City on its preseason training trip to Herriman, Utah, for the 2020 Wasatch Cup.
"Wes is a versatile defender that we know well," Louisville City coach and Sporting Director John Hackworth said. "While he has primarily played as a right-back or left-back during his professional career, we thought that with his physical abilities that he could make the transition to be a central defender. During the matches in Utah, he played well as one of our left center backs. In addition, he is a person of character who we feel will fit well with our culture."
The 27-year old Florida native will be eligible immediately pending federation approval. Charpie played in all three matches during the Wasatch Cup trip, helping Louisville City win the Cup with wins over the Colorado Springs Switchbacks and Real Monarchs.
"Joining Louisville City is a great opportunity for me," Charpie said. "Louisville City is a club known around the country to be first-class, and players all around the league want to play here - not only for how Louisville City runs its club - but also because of the incredible success they've had over the first five seasons. I'm excited to get the opportunity to join this team so we can try to bring another championship here to Louisville."
Charpie began his path to the pros while playing with USL League Two side Reading United during the summers while he was a four-year starter at the University of South Florida. An All-American Athletic Conference selection in 2014, Charpie was selected with the eighth pick of the second round of the 2015 MLS SuperDraft. Charpie played for Toronto FC II in 2015, moved to Saint Louis FC in 2016 and the Jacksonville Armada in 2018 before spending last season playing for Memphis 901 FC.
Charpie will wear No. 6 for Louisville City. Louisville City will play Forward Madison from USL League One in a preseason match Tuesday afternoon before closing out the preseason schedule Saturday at the University of Kentucky. Louisville City opens the 2020 USL Championship schedule March 7 at North Carolina FC.
Charpie: SHAR-pee (like the markers)
YouTube B-Roll Melt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2in1TWn6K_0&feature=youtu.be
LouCity's 2020 roster, listed alphabetically by position:
Goalkeepers (3): Chris Hubbard, Ben Lundt, Muamer Ugarak
Defenders (7): Wes Charpie, Oscar Jimenez, Pat McMahon, Jimmy Ockford, Alexis Souahy, Sean Totsch, Akil Watts
Midfielders (7): Corben Bone, Paolo DelPiccolo, Napo Matsoso, Niall McCabe, Magnus Rasmussen, Speedy Williams, Elijah Wynder
Forwards (6): George Davis IV, Antoine Hoppenot, Cameron Lancaster, Brian Ownby, Luke Spencer, Abdou Thiam
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 25, 2020
- FC Tulsa Defeats Defending USL League One Champions North Texas SC 3-1 in Preseason Match - FC Tulsa
- Louisville City Beats Forward Madison 4-0 - Louisville City FC
- 20 Questions with Harry Swartz - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Brandon Williamson, Re-Sign Defender Allexon Saravia - Loudoun United
- Preseason: Week 4 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosting Forward Madison in Preseason Tune-Up - Louisville City FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Extends Loan for Josue Aaron Gomez - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Orange County SC Signs Former La Galaxy Defender Nathan Smith - Orange County SC
- Louisville City Signs Wes Charpie - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Sign Defender Skylar Thomas, Goalkeeper Danny Vitiello - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preseason Update: Athletic Split Home-And-Home with Revs II - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.