Honkers Drop Series Finale with Mankato
Rochester was unable to take advantage of traffic on the bases, falling a hit or two short in a 4-3 loss to the Mankato Moondogs. The Honker bats left ten men on base in the ballgame.
Mankato scored twice in the first three innings, a two-out RBI single by Cole Andavolgyi (Golden West College) plated Matthew Higgins (Bellarmine) in the first, and second Andavolgyi RBI came across on a sacrifice fly.
With an early lead, Ivran Romero (San Diego) cruised on the mound for Mankato. The right hander held Rochester without a hit through his five innings of work, walking three and striking out two on his way to a win.
The Mankato lead would stay 2-0 until the sixth, when a Will Hanfan (Creighton) leadoff walk was followed by a pair of RBI doubles by Kole Kayler (Hawaii) and Adam Fogel (Hawaii) to stretch the lead to four.
The Honkers would battle back for their lone runs of the ballgame in the bottom half, after the first two outs of the innings were recorded, three straight walks loaded the bases for the Jackson Forbes. The Freshman from San Jose State making his Rochester debut smacked a bases clearing double to left to bring the Honkers within a run.
The Honkers weren't quite able to close the gap, pushing the tying run into scoring position but unable to capitalize.
Rochester falls to 5-7 with the loss and welcome the St. Cloud Rox to Mayo Field on Thursday with first pitch at 6:35.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 16, 2021
- Mallards Comeback Falls Just Short as Rafters Win 10-9 - Madison Mallards
- Mallards Host Rafters to Complete Home-And-Home - Madison Mallards
- Strong Pitching Seals Rubber Match Victory over Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Drop Series Finale with Mankato - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Edge Honkers for Split of Road Series and First in the Great Plains West - Mankato MoonDogs
- Larks Split with the Train Conductors - Bismarck Larks
- Stingers Fall to La Crosse Tuesday Night - Willmar Stingers
- Offense Erupts in Seventh as Pit Spitters Squish the Spiders - Traverse City Pit Spitters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Honkers Stories
- Honkers Can't Get Bats Going in Loss to St. Cloud
- Honkers Lose Late Lead, Settle for Series Split against Bismarck
- Honkers Use Five-Run Sixth to Take Series Opener with Bismarck
- Alazaus Leads the Way for Rochester in Second Complete Game Shutout Performance
- Honkers Fall a Hit Short in Loss to Eau Claire