Heat Shutout Wild 4-0
Des Moines, IA - The Abbotsford Heat beat the Iowa Wild (AHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild) 4-0 on Saturday night at Wells Fargo Arena. The Heat remain in first place in the American Hockey League (AHL) with a 16-5-0-1 record and 33 points. The Heat are now 5-1-0-0 through six of seven games on their current road trip and have now won 12 of their last 13 games.
The Heat executed a perfect road game as they were strong defensively throughout and were opportunistic when it came to the offense. Joni Ortio was named the first star as he picked up his first career AHL shutout. Offensively, Paul Byron (1-2-3), Markus Granlund (1-1-2), and Brady Lamb (1-1-2) combined for seven points on the evening.
Ben Hanowski scored the lone goal in the first period at 4:47 assisted by Brady Lamb and Corban Knight. Joni Ortio stopped all seven shots he faced, while Gustafsson allowed one goal on four shots.
In the second period, Brady Lamb scored his first goal of the season at 3:31 assisted by Brett Olson and Paul Byron. The Heat took a 2-0 lead into the third period after firing 14 shots on Gustafsson in the second period.
The Heat put the game away in the final period with two goals. Paul Byron scored a power play goal at 6:11 with the assists going to Markus Granlund and Ben Street. Granlund closed out the game scoring the Heat's fourth and final goal at 16:15 assisted by Byron.
The Heat were one out of one on the power play and killed off both of their penalties in the game.
Joni Ortio picked up the win stopping all 25 shots and is now 9-0-0-0 on the season. Johan Gustafsson was charged with the loss as he turned away 26 of 30 shots.
The Heat will finish their seven game road trip Sunday afternoon at 3:05 PST against the Iowa Wild (AHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild). Following this road trip, the Heat will return home to play the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) on Friday, November 29th and Saturday, November 30th. Friday, November 29th will feature the third Legends of Hockey night of the season, with Canucks legend Kirk McLean appearing for autographs prior to the game on the AESC concourse at 6:00pm. On Saturday, November 30th, one lucky fan will have the opportunity to win $5000 in The Honda Way Shootout, courtesy of the Honda Way Abbotsford. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or go to abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 24, 2013
- Heat Edge Wild 2-1 in Iowa - Abbotsford Heat
- Abbotsford Slips Past Iowa 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Downs San Antonio 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Fall to Toronto, 4-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Rebounds with 5-1 Victory over the Bears - Binghamton Senators
- Senators Exact Revenge on Bears - Hershey Bears
- Lightning Recall Kucherov, Korobov from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall to Falcons 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Downed by IceCaps, 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Tame Sound Tigers 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Sharks a Shootout Winner at DCU X2 - Worcester Sharks
- Grosenick'ed in the Shootout - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Defeat Bruins for Sixth Straight - Springfield Falcons
- Rockford Rebounds in 4-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford Gets Even with Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Defenseman Dylan Olsen Recalled to the Florida Panthers - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets blank Rochester - Utica Comets
- Pirates Rally for 4-3 Shootout Win over Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Even Northway Series in Wild One - Adirondack Phantoms
- Late Goal Carries Griffins to 2-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Shutout Wild 4-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sabourin has three goals in his last two games - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.