Heat Edge Wild 2-1 in Iowa
Des Moines, IA - The Abbotsford Heat beat the Iowa Wild (AHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild) 2-1 on Sunday night at Wells Fargo Arena. The Heat remain in first place in the American Hockey League (AHL) with a 17-5-0-1 record and 35 points. The Heat finished their seven game road trip 6-1-0-0 and have now won 13 of their last 14 games.
The Heat gave up the opening goal of the game in the first period, but were able to get back to back goals from Ben Street in the second period. Street scored his fourth game winning goal on the road trip and was named first star.
In the opening period, the Heat had a goal from Turner Elson disallowed and were given a penalty for high sticking on the play. Seconds later, Brett Bulmer opened the scoring on the power play at 14:01 and the Wild took a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes.
Ben Street tied the game in the second period at 9:31, assisted by Drew MacKenzie and Josh Jooris. At 11:27, on a Heat power play, Street scored his second of the game and team leading 11th goal of the season, with the assists going to Chad Billins and Markus Granlund.
The Heat were able to hold the Wild off the score sheet in the third period and won the game 2-1.
The Heat were one out of three on the power play and killed off four of five of their penalties in the game.
Joey MacDonald picked up the win stopping 42 of 43 shots and is now 4-1-0-0 on the season. John Curry was charged with the loss as he turned away 17 of 19 shots.
The Heat will return home to play the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) on Friday, November 29th and Saturday, November 30th. Friday, November 29th will feature the third Legends of Hockey night of the season, with Canucks legend Kirk McLean appearing for autographs prior to the game on the AESC concourse at 6:00pm. On Saturday, November 30th, one lucky fan will have the opportunity to win $5000 in the Honda Way Shootout, courtesy of the Honda Way Abbotsford. For tickets please call 1-877-452 HEAT (4328) or go to abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 24, 2013
- Heat Edge Wild 2-1 in Iowa - Abbotsford Heat
- Abbotsford Slips Past Iowa 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Downs San Antonio 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Fall to Toronto, 4-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Rebounds with 5-1 Victory over the Bears - Binghamton Senators
- Senators Exact Revenge on Bears - Hershey Bears
- Lightning Recall Kucherov, Korobov from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall to Falcons 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Downed by IceCaps, 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Tame Sound Tigers 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Sharks a Shootout Winner at DCU X2 - Worcester Sharks
- Grosenick'ed in the Shootout - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Defeat Bruins for Sixth Straight - Springfield Falcons
- Rockford Rebounds in 4-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford Gets Even with Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Defenseman Dylan Olsen Recalled to the Florida Panthers - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets blank Rochester - Utica Comets
- Pirates Rally for 4-3 Shootout Win over Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Even Northway Series in Wild One - Adirondack Phantoms
- Late Goal Carries Griffins to 2-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Shutout Wild 4-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sabourin has three goals in his last two games - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.