Heart's Desire Therapeutic Riding Center to be featured this Saturday
SOUTHAVEN --- "To brighten and inspire the lives and hearts of those with special life challenges through the benefits of equine assisted activities." That's the mission of a very unique therapy center for children that will be the Xplorers' Featured Non-Profit for Saturday night's game versus the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings at 7 p.m. at the DeSoto Civic Center.
"Heart's Desire Therapeutic Riding Center was founded to minister to children with disabilities and their families through equine recreational activities that support healing, development, emotional joy and belonging that is centered in a safe and secure Christ-centered environment," Heart's Desire founder and director Karen Cates said. "We have over 50 support volunteers each year in our program and we serve over 115 children in DeSoto, Tate and Tunica Counties."
As the featured non-profit, Heart's Desire Therapeutic Riding Center will have an information table on the concourse at the DeSoto Civic Center during the game, have a representative perform the pre-game coin toss and will be selling chances for the "fling-a-football" halftime contest as a fundraiser.
"We are thrilled with the opportunity to affiliate with the Xplorers as this will bring phenomenal exposure to our program and our success in the lives of children," Cates said. "It will provide an opportunity to let others know how they can support such a rewarding program and allow us to continue low cost quality service through riderships and program support."
Heart's Desire is a North American Riding for the Handicapped Association Premier Accredited Center and every staff member is a NARHA certified instructor or licensed therapist. The center is a mobile program that is leading the industry in Mississippi and West Tennessee in professionalism and excellence in service. Their clients are referred by physicians, therapists, and state intervention/assistance programs for families with disabled children. All the children that Heart's Desire serves have a variety of disabilities; the most common are cerebral palsy, autism, and ADHD. The Center also serves clients with mental challenges, spinal chord injury, brain trauma, developmental delays, and Aspberger syndrome. Each child must provide a complete medical history and physician's release to participate in the program.
Heart's Desire offers programs in hippotherapy, therapeutic riding, educational riding, horse care and safety, emotional development, competitive drill team, equine experimental learning program, Equestrian Special Olympics and competition.
For more information on the programs and services offered by Heart's Desire Therapeutic Riding Center, you can call 901-489-4470 or e-mail the center at [email protected]
The Memphis Xplorers...2005 ArenaCup Champions
Free Kids Tickets!!! For the May 20 game vs Bossier-Shreveport, fans that purchase one adult ticket can get up to two kids tickets (12 and under) for free.
Take advantage of the Xplorers 4-Pack or fantastic discounts for groups of 15 or more. Don't miss all the action of the "50-Yard Indoor War." For ticket information call the Xplorers office at 662-342-1755. Single game tickets can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com, by calling 901-525-1515 or in person at the DeSoto Civic Center box office during business hours.
Listen to all the action on the radio home of the Xplorers, 730 ESPN.
Be sure to head to O'Charley's on Goodman Road in Southaven after every Xplorers home game for the official post game party.
Listen to the Danton Barto Show every Monday at 6pm on 730 ESPN live from The Fox and Hound in Southaven.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 18, 2006
- Bakersfield Blitz Sign New Kicker Kirk Yliniemi - Bakersfield Blitz
- af2 Friday night matchup - af2
- af2 week eight quick hitters - af2
- Xplorers host Bossier-Shreveport Saturday - Memphis Xplorers
- Memphis Xplorers game notes - Memphis Xplorers
- Quad City Steamwheelers game notes - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Vipers add four - Alabama Vipers
- Heart's Desire Therapeutic Riding Center to be featured this Saturday - Memphis Xplorers
- Amarillo Dusters game notes - Amarillo Venom
- Toronto Raptors' Matt Bonner To Do Opening Coin Toss - Manchester Wolves
- Steeldogs, Vipers Ready to Renew League's Fiercest Rivalry - Alabama Steeldogs
- OL/DL, Ben McCombs on the "Coach's Corner" - Bakersfield Blitz
- Blizzard, Piggly Wiggly Team Up To "Stomp Out Hunger" - Green Bay Blizzard
- Albany Looking For Third Straight Win In Louisville - Albany Firebirds
- Blizzard Adds Local Kicker - Green Bay Blizzard
- Firecats Sorrell about to Become af2's All-Time Tackler - Florida Firecats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.