Hawks, Muskies Play Another Tight One
The results have been close every time the Waterloo Black Hawks have met the Sioux City Musketeers in 2020/21, and Friday's game at Young Arena was no different, as Waterloo scratched out a 2-1 result.
The contest was the fifth between the teams this season; all of them have been settled by two goals of less.
Sioux City penalty killers were solid in the first period, giving the Musketeers an opportunity to take the lead in the final minute before intermission. During the early and mid-stages of the period, Sioux City denied the Hawks during seven minutes of power play time. Then with 4.1 seconds left before intermission, Bennett Schimek was below the icing line and set up Joel Maatta for a scoring shot from just inside the left dot.
In the second, it was the Hawks killing off a couple of Sioux City power plays before tying the game. Alex Gaffney provided the equalizer thanks to John Waldron's hard work chasing down a dump in. Waldron slung the puck back to Gaffney, who beat Akira Schmid with a low shot at 9:19. Just over six minutes later, Waterloo went to the lead. Kyler Kleven looked like he would cut toward the slot on a rush. The move pulled Schmid off the post, and Kleven beat him to the short side.
Charlie Glockner stopped 10 Sioux City shots in the third and 32 for the game to secure the win. However, the biggest save of the period may have come from Mason Reiners. Glockner was caught in traffic behind the net with 11-and-a-half minutes remaining, and Reiners arrived in the nick of time to turn away a Musketeers chance when they worked the puck loose.
The same teams meet for an instant rematch on Saturday. The 6:05 p.m. game will be the third contest during a seven-game Hawks homestand.
Sioux City 1 0 0 - 1
Waterloo 0 2 0 - 2
1st Period-1, Sioux City, Maatta 3 (Schimek), 19:55. Penalties-Edwards Sc (hooking), 3:49; Blanchard Sc (major-head contact, game misconduct-head contact), 6:23.
2nd Period-2, Waterloo, Gaffney 4 (Waldron, Wylie), 9:19. 3, Waterloo, Kleven 5 (Wylie, Gucciardi), 15:29. Penalties-Ness Wat (slashing), 3:41; Gucciardi Wat (slashing), 5:24; Gaffney Wat (delay of game-faceoff violation), 16:49; Fusco Sc (high sticking), 17:36; Montgomery Wat (hooking), 18:40; Jimenez Sc (tripping), 19:48; Bradley Sc (roughing), 20:00; Gucciardi Wat (roughing), 20:00.
3rd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Irey Sc (too many men), 9:20; Olson Sc (high sticking dbl minor), 9:47; Reiners Wat (holding), 13:24.
Shots on Goal-Sioux City 13-10-10-33. Waterloo 8-7-9-24.
Power Play Opportunities-Sioux City 0 / 5; Waterloo 0 / 6.
Goalies-Sioux City, Schmid 5-5-1-0 (24 shots-22 saves). Waterloo, Glockner 5-7-1-0 (33 shots-32 saves).
Referees-Anthony Vikhter, Pat Jacobs.
Linesmen-Bill Hancock (91), Eric Arrigo.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2021
- Phantoms Fall to Chicago 4-2 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Force Fall to the Buccaneers - Fargo Force
- Storm Shut out Stars in 5-0 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks, Muskies Play Another Tight One - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Gamblers Win - Green Bay Gamblers
- Stars Shut out in Tri-City - Lincoln Stars
- Second Period Hurts Herd, Lose 2-1 in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Prevail with 4-2 Victory in Youngstown - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Add Defenseman - Green Bay Gamblers
- Garrity to Step Down as USHL President and Commissioner in 2021 - USHL
- Storm Host Stars for Annual "Pack It in Purple" Game - Tri-City Storm
- Lancers Sweep USHL Players of the Week Award - Omaha Lancers
- Weekend Preview: Stampede at Home - Omaha Lancers
- Weekend Preview: Waterloo - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.