Force Fall to the Buccaneers
Tonight's matchup between the Fargo Force (14-7-2-0; 30pts.) and the Des Moines Buccaneers (11-9-2-0; 24pts.) was a close one the whole way through. The Bucs broke a 2-2 tie with a shorthanded goal only 25 seconds into the 2nd period and they added an empty net goal in the last minute of regulation as Des Moines earns a 4-2 win over the Force in night one of the two game series.
The Force saw two power play opportunities early in period one but couldn't come away with a goal in either. It was the Buccaneers who were first on the board with a goal from Lucas Mercuri. He managed to sneak a shot past Boynton off a rebound from Matt Choupani. It wasn't long before Fargo responded with a goal of their own. With 5:53 remaining in the period Huglen took the puck from the Force blue line and deked past 2 defenders, before slipping one in 5-hole, tying it up at 1-1. 15 seconds later Des Moines caught the Force off guard giving themselves a wide-open look at the net and taking back the lead. Then, with two minutes remaining the Force lit the lamp once again. A soccer like back-and-forth between Huglen and Broz, two future Gophers, gave Huglen room for a shot, bringing the score to an even 2-2 to end the period.
Period two did not start the way the Force were hoping. Although they were granted a power play just 9 seconds into the second, it was Des Moines who managed to score. Laferriere managed to get behind his man and score a shorthanded goal to put the Buccaneers up 3-2. Which is how the score remained until 19:08 in period three.
The third period saw opportunities for scoring on both sides but neither team could make anything happen until late in the period. With 2:05 remaining the Buccaneers sent one to the penalty box giving Fargo a man advantage and the chance they had been looking for. With under a minute remaining the Force pulled their goalie to add an extra man to the offense. Then an unfortunate redirection of the puck made its way to a Des Moines player who fired it into the empty Fargo net. Tonight's final score, 4-2 Bucs. The Force are back for a rematch tomorrow night at Scheels Arena, puck drop at 6:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2021
- Phantoms Fall to Chicago 4-2 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Force Fall to the Buccaneers - Fargo Force
- Storm Shut out Stars in 5-0 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks, Muskies Play Another Tight One - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Gamblers Win - Green Bay Gamblers
- Stars Shut out in Tri-City - Lincoln Stars
- Second Period Hurts Herd, Lose 2-1 in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Prevail with 4-2 Victory in Youngstown - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Add Defenseman - Green Bay Gamblers
- Garrity to Step Down as USHL President and Commissioner in 2021 - USHL
- Storm Host Stars for Annual "Pack It in Purple" Game - Tri-City Storm
- Lancers Sweep USHL Players of the Week Award - Omaha Lancers
- Weekend Preview: Stampede at Home - Omaha Lancers
- Weekend Preview: Waterloo - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.