Second Period Hurts Herd, Lose 2-1 in Omaha
RALSTON, Neb. - The Sioux Falls Stampede went down fighting in a 2-1 regulation loss to the Omaha Lancers at Ralston Arena Friday night. Defenseman Brent Johnson tallied his sixth goal of the season, but the two-goal second period from the Lancers was the difference. Christian Stoever made his Stampede debut in net, stopping 23 of 25 shots.
Despite outshooting the Lancers in the first period 11 to four in the first period, the Stampede, for the fourth-straight contest, allowed a goal within the first two minutes of the second period. Ryan Lautenbach tallied his eighth goal of the season just 1:35 into the second period. Ayrton Martino and Kyle Bettens provided the assists to give the home team a 1-0 lead.
Ten minutes later Michael Posma just squeaked a puck through the pads of Stampede goaltender Christian Stoever to take a 2-0 advantage into the second intermission. The Lancers showed their period dominance by outshooting the Herd 11 to four.
The Stampede stepped onto the ice in the third period with some urgency as Brent Johnson tallied his sixth goal of the season on the expiring power play 39 seconds in the period. Cole Sillinger provided the assist on the play for his third point in three games. The lone goal would be all the Herd could muster as Omaha goaltender Jakub Dobes stands tall in net with the 2-1 victory.
The Herd moves to 8-12-1 on the season and will try again tomorrow night against the Lancers with a 6:05 p.m. puck drop scheduled at Ralston Arena. Fans can also catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2021
- Phantoms Fall to Chicago 4-2 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Force Fall to the Buccaneers - Fargo Force
- Storm Shut out Stars in 5-0 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks, Muskies Play Another Tight One - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Gamblers Win - Green Bay Gamblers
- Stars Shut out in Tri-City - Lincoln Stars
- Second Period Hurts Herd, Lose 2-1 in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Prevail with 4-2 Victory in Youngstown - Chicago Steel
- Gamblers Add Defenseman - Green Bay Gamblers
- Garrity to Step Down as USHL President and Commissioner in 2021 - USHL
- Storm Host Stars for Annual "Pack It in Purple" Game - Tri-City Storm
- Lancers Sweep USHL Players of the Week Award - Omaha Lancers
- Weekend Preview: Stampede at Home - Omaha Lancers
- Weekend Preview: Waterloo - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.