Hawks earn wild victory
BOISE, Idaho - A five-run second inning rally helped the Boise Hawks to a wild 7-5 victory over the Eugene Emeralds before 3,197 fans at Memorial Stadium.
After the Ems took a 4-1 lead in the second on a Kyle Gaedele inside-the-park grand slam home run, Boise had their first five batters of the bottom of the frame reach base to chase Eugene starter James Needy. Wes Darvill led off with a single, moving to third on a Willson Contreras double. Oliver Zapata hit a roller to second that was bobbled by Justin Miller - reaching on the error, as Darvill scored to cut the margin to 4-2. Zeke Devoss singled home a run, with Pin-Chieh Chen doubling home the tying run. A Ryan Cuneo sacrifice fly gave the Hawks a 5-4 lead, with Chen capping the inning by scoring on a wild pitch.
It was enough for the Hawks bullpen, as three pitchers combined to allow just one run over seven innings. Joe Zeller tossed two and two-thirds innings of relief for the win, starting a key 1-5-3 double play in the seventh inning with his club coaxing a two-run lead. Bryce Shafer got the final three outs for his tenth save of the year.
DeVoss went 3-for-4 for the Hawks, scoring on a wild pitch in the first to give Boise the early lead. However, Hawks starter Willengton Cruz walked the bases loaded in the second, with Gaedele lining a ball into the left-center gap, just out of the reach of Chen - circling the bases to give the visitors the lead, part of a 2-for-3 night.
Game 4 of the series is tomorrow evening, with Ben Wells locking up with Johnny Barbato at 7:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 12, 2011
- Hawks earn wild victory - Boise Hawks
- Comedian Gallagher to Perform at Yakima County Stadium - Yakima Bears
- C's strand 12 runners as they lose second straight to Bears at County Stadium - Vancouver Canadians
- Frogs Bounce Back for Slim 4-3 Win - Everett AquaSox
- Bears Beat the Canadians Again, Take 2-0 Series Lead - Yakima Bears
- Emeralds roll to 17-6 victory - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boise Hawks Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season for All Leagues
- The Park at Memorial Stadium Opens Friday, May 22
- Boise Hawks Launch "Treasure Valley Hometown Heroes"
- Boise Hawks Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Boise Hawks Release 2020 Promotional Schedule