C's strand 12 runners as they lose second straight to Bears at County Stadium
(County Stadium - Yakima, WA) - The Canadians stranded 12 runners on Thursday night, falling 3-1 to the Yakima Bears out at County Stadium. The loss is Vancouver's 5th straight and moves them to 5-11 (.313) on the second half of the Northwest League season.
Canadians starter RHP Jesse Hernandez went six innings in game two of this five-game series, giving up three runs in the loss.
Yakima opened the scoring in the bottom of the 2nd inning when SS Garrett Weber would lead off with a double and move over to third base on a ground out from 3B Carter Bell. RF Justin Hilt would then draw a walk off of Hernandez before attempting to steal second base. With Hilt caught in a rundown between first and second base, Weber would break from third base and score to give the Bears a 1-0 lead.
A pair of runs would come into count in the bottom of the 3rd inning when C Steve Rodriguez would single, then move over to third base on a double off the bat of LF Kerry Jenkins. Rodriguez would come in to count when CF Westley Moss grounded out to third and Jenkins would come in to score when 2B Danny Pulfer blooped one into shallow center field to help Yakima to a 3-0 lead.
The Canadians would finally break the shutout bid in the top of the 9th inning when SS Shane Opitz would single off of Yakima reliever RHP Miles Reagan before advancing to second base on a wild pitch. CF Jon Jones would single home Opitz to get Vancouver on the board, but Nick Baligod would pop out to 2B Danny Pulfer to end the late rally and secure the Bears second straight victory of the series, the final 3-1.
With the loss, Vancouver drops to 5-11 (.313) on the season and fall five games back of the West Division leading Aquasox who topped Tri-City on Thursday night 4-3 in Everett, WA.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 12, 2011
- Hawks earn wild victory - Boise Hawks
- Comedian Gallagher to Perform at Yakima County Stadium - Yakima Bears
- C's strand 12 runners as they lose second straight to Bears at County Stadium - Vancouver Canadians
- Frogs Bounce Back for Slim 4-3 Win - Everett AquaSox
- Bears Beat the Canadians Again, Take 2-0 Series Lead - Yakima Bears
- Emeralds roll to 17-6 victory - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Canadians Stories
- Canadians Baron Receives 3rd Consecutive Sports Turf Manager of the Year Award
- Robertson Named NWL Player of the Week
- C's Swept in Season Finale; Fall 3-1 to Everett
- C's Fall 11-3 in Everett on Sunday Afternoon
- C's Just Can't Catch Everett; Fall 5-3 on Saturday