Emeralds roll to 17-6 victory
BOISE, Idaho - Justin Miller and Donovan Tate each had four hits, pacing a 20-hit Eugene attack, as the Emeralds rolled to a 17-6 victory over the Boise Hawks, before 2,746 fans at Memorial Stadium.
The Ems joined Tri-City and Salem-Keizer as teams with 20 hits this season, with the 17 runs scored a season-high, evening the series up at a game apiece.
Miller doubled home Jace Peterson in the first inning, starting a string of four-straight hits by the visitors, as Eugene built a 4-0 lead after one. Travis Whitmore lined an RBI triple in the second to push the lead to 5-0, followed by a Tate RBI single to make it 6-0. Whitmore would knock in a pair a the third to make it 9-0, with a Kyle Gaedele two-run homer in the fourth making it 12-0.
Paul Hoilman went 3-for-5 for the Hawks in the loss, including his league-leading 12th homer of the season, launched over the scoreboard in left in the sixth, cutting the Eugene lead to 15-3. Lee Orr capped the Ems scoring with his fifth homer of the season in the seventh, a two-run shot.
Miller went 4-for-5 with three runs scored and Tate went 4-for-5 with three RBI in the win, while Whitmore knocked in five. Reggie Golden and Oliver Zapata each had two hits and an RBI for Boise.
Game 3 of the series is tomorrow night, with Willengton Cruz meeting James Needy at 7:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 12, 2011
- Hawks earn wild victory - Boise Hawks
- Comedian Gallagher to Perform at Yakima County Stadium - Yakima Bears
- C's strand 12 runners as they lose second straight to Bears at County Stadium - Vancouver Canadians
- Frogs Bounce Back for Slim 4-3 Win - Everett AquaSox
- Bears Beat the Canadians Again, Take 2-0 Series Lead - Yakima Bears
- Emeralds roll to 17-6 victory - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boise Hawks Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season for All Leagues
- The Park at Memorial Stadium Opens Friday, May 22
- Boise Hawks Launch "Treasure Valley Hometown Heroes"
- Boise Hawks Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Boise Hawks Release 2020 Promotional Schedule