Havird's CG SO Powers Washington to Going-Away Win
JOLIET, Il. - The Washington Wild Things scored multiple runs in four innings, all while John Havird dealt his way to a complete-game shutout, as the Wild Things took the opener against the Slammers Friday, 12-0.
Havird was the story of the night outside of the offensive outburst, as he chucked his first nine-inning complete game as a pro, while not allowing a run. It's his third shutout and fourth complete game overall. Havird, whose career ERA was in the mid 2.00's against Joliet coming in, allowed only six hits, did not walk a batter and fanned eight, matching a season high.
Washington's bats showed up too, as they plated two in the second, three in the fourth, four in the seventh and three more in the ninth, on 13 total hits. They were led by three-hit nights from JJ Fernandez, who finished a homer shy of the cycle, and Cody Erickson. Both Mikael Mogues and Cameron Baranek hit three-run home runs in the late stages as well to pad the lead. Baranek drove in the first and final three runs of the game, while Erickson added two RBI. The other RBI on the night belonged to JJ Fernandez and Ryan Cox.
The Wild Things and Slammers meet again for the middle game tomorrow at DuPage Medical Group Field in Joliet, at 7:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Otters Win a Wild Game, Defeating the Boomers 6-5 - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Edged in Slugfest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bolts Win Second Straight from Grizzlies - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Take Down Rascals for Fifth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Offense Comes up Short in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Sizzle Early, Fizzle Late in Loss - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Plate Three on Two Home Runs in Eighth to Take Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Stifle Crushers to Setup Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Score 3 in the 8th to Beat Slammers 5-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Lock Down Bullpen in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Stun Rascals in Ninth to Win Fourth Straight - Southern Illinois Miners
- Havird's CG SO Powers Washington to Going-Away Win - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Four-Run Inning Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- Wild Things Shut out Crushers to Salvage Game
- Austin Allows Two Runs Or Fewer for 6th Straight Start in Washington Loss
- Roa Drives Home Three in Loss to Crushers
- Wild Things Leave Opportunities on Base in Finale
- Everything Comes Together as Wild Things Take Series