Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies scored in the first inning to take the lead Saturday, but they allowed five straight runs to the Windy City ThunderBolts in a 5-1 defeat Saturday night at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (14-18) lost its third straight.
Jordan Barrett (1-3) turned in a quality start with six innings of two-run ball. He allowed three hits, six walks, and struck out three. With the loss, the Grizzlies fell to 6-6 in games in which their starting pitcher works a quality start. They were 26-12 with a quality start last season.
Geoff Bramblett, Jason Seever, and Dakota Smith worked three innings out of the Grizzlies' bullpen and allowed three runs, but they were all unearned. Bramblett has not allowed an earned run since May 24; Smith has not allowed one since May 22.
Gateway out-hit Windy City (16-16), 7-6, but lost by four.
The series finale is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. Sunday at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Otters Win a Wild Game, Defeating the Boomers 6-5 - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Edged in Slugfest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bolts Win Second Straight from Grizzlies - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Take Down Rascals for Fifth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Offense Comes up Short in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Sizzle Early, Fizzle Late in Loss - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Plate Three on Two Home Runs in Eighth to Take Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Stifle Crushers to Setup Rubber Match - Florence Y'alls
- Wild Things Score 3 in the 8th to Beat Slammers 5-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Lock Down Bullpen in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Stun Rascals in Ninth to Win Fourth Straight - Southern Illinois Miners
- Havird's CG SO Powers Washington to Going-Away Win - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Four-Run Inning Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters