Boomers Edged in Slugfest
EVANSVILLE, IN - The Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, dropped a wild Saturday night road affair at the hands of the Evansville Otters by a 7-6 final.
Evansville scored two runs in the bottom of the first inning before the Boomers battled to lead 5-2. Schaumburg tied the game with two runs in the fourth on an RBI double from Julio Gonzalez and an error. Dylan Jones hit his second homer in as many nights to begin the fifth, putting the Boomers in front. Clint Hardy greeted reliever Chris Cepeda with a two-run blast on the first pitch of his appearance later in the inning. Evansville scored four runs in the bottom of the inning, taking advantage of a throwing error. Jimmy Galusky tied the game again in the top of the sixth, doubling home Jack Parenty. The winning run scored in the eighth on a pair of errors.
Jake Cousins suffered the loss in relief. Aaron Rozek started and worked five innings on the mound, allowing a season high six runs, five earned. The offense banged out 14 hits to notch a second consecutive double-digit performance. Jones and Gonzalez each logged three while Galusky and Hardy tallied two apiece.
The Boomers (17-15) continue to hang on to the East Division lead and will conclude the roadtrip on Sunday night at 5:05 p.m. LHP Gunnar Kines (1-2, 4.63) the franchise's career leader in strikeouts, takes the mound in the finale against RHP Tyler Beardsley (2-1, 2.46). Schaumburg returns home on Tuesday, June 18 to begin a fun-filled six-game homestand. Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Otters Win a Wild Game, Defeating the Boomers 6-5 - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Edged in Slugfest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bolts Win Second Straight from Grizzlies - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Take Down Rascals for Fifth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Offense Comes up Short in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Sizzle Early, Fizzle Late in Loss - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Plate Three on Two Home Runs in Eighth to Take Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Stifle Crushers to Setup Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Score 3 in the 8th to Beat Slammers 5-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Lock Down Bullpen in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Stun Rascals in Ninth to Win Fourth Straight - Southern Illinois Miners
- Havird's CG SO Powers Washington to Going-Away Win - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Four-Run Inning Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.